Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
8 wire stepper motor (A.W. Haydon company) — Parallax Forums

8 wire stepper motor (A.W. Haydon company)

winstonwinston Posts: 2
edited 2011-04-01 10:53 in BASIC Stamp
I have wired steppers to the BS2 before but they only had 6 wires. I have a motor I want to use because it is geared and rotates very slowly which I need for my project. There are two groups of 4 wires. Yellow, Black, Gray, and Red in each group.

Within each group, I get 16 ohms between the red and gray, and 16 ohms between the black and yellow.

I am wanting to know how to hook this into the stampworks experiment board.

I have connected steppers to the board before with success but with different numbers of wires. The board uses a ULN2003 driver chip to provide the power for the stepper.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-04-01 10:53
    Wiki has a good explanation of the various windings:
    An 8-lead stepper is wound like a unipolar stepper, but the leads are not joined to common internally to the motor. This kind of motor can be wired in several configurations:
    Unipolar.
    Bipolar with series windings. This gives higher inductance but lower current per winding.
    Bipolar with parallel windings. This requires higher current but can perform better as the winding inductance is reduced.
    Bipolar with a single winding per phase. This method will run the motor on only half the available windings, which will reduce the available low speed torque but require less current.