Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Coolest Stingray Robot Remote.... EVER!! — Parallax Forums

The Coolest Stingray Robot Remote.... EVER!!

MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
edited 2011-08-19 15:43 in Propeller 1
I've worked on this for over a month. Behold: The great Stingray Remote!
DSC00564.jpg
DSC00570.jpg
DSC00567.jpg
DSC00571.jpg
DSC00569.jpg
DSC00566.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, it has a touchscreen, arcade joystick, speedometer, and indicator LEDs (I could have used the touchscreen but I love LEDs!). It runs on duel Propeller chips, one controlling the display and one to send out and receive data. I like the look and feel of the arcade joystick, and the confirmation of a physical indicator.
Upon boot the touchscreen checks for the robot and the motherboard, then switches to the main menu. Under the controls menu, you can turn on and off perspective steering, progressive control, and high speed steering functions. To change speed, you hold down the "Action" button (the large red arcade button), and move the joystick up or down to adjust the speed accordingly.
The Stingray itself just has an Xbee module and a PING on the front and back. The remote is literally more high-tech then the Stingray! 4 D cells give it a nice wieghty feel - about 7 pounds total! Its fun to drive around, expecially at high speed.
I'll post the code once it is complete.

Thanks,
Microcontrolled
1024 x 768 - 51K
1024 x 768 - 56K
1024 x 768 - 52K
1024 x 768 - 66K
1024 x 768 - 52K
1024 x 768 - 43K

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-03-17 19:35
    Cool project! I love the use of the arcade type joystick.

Any chance of getting some video of this setup in action?

OBC
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2011-03-17 19:37
    Very cool indeed Microcontrolled! I second Jeff's request for video!

Paul
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-03-17 19:47
    Microcontrolled,

Too cool! That looks great.

Is the joy stick proportional? Or does it (the joystick) use four switches like a lot of arcade game controllers?

If it's not proportional, you might want to think about some sort of proportional input. One of my favorite input devices is a Wii Nunchuck (I doubt it would be a good choice in your case). Some sort of analog joystick should work. There are lots of good options to choose from.

After re-reading your post I see you can control the speed separate from the steering. I still think proportional control would make the robot easier to control (assuming you don't already have it).

What does "perspective steering" and "progressive steering" mean?

I like the touchscreen. Does the Stingray send information back to the controller to display on the screen? You could have some sort of graphic to show the Pings' readings.

I think you might be breaking some sort of law. I don't think teenagers are supposed to have this much fun.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2011-03-17 20:40
    That is impressive and really slick! The integration of a touch screen and a joystick is very clever. Can't wait to see the code.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-03-17 20:40
    That's awesome Microcontrolled!

Make a movie - I'd like to see it in action too!
    -Matt
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-03-18 05:31
    Ok, I was going to last night but thought differently, but now I will definitely make a movie! I'll be posting the YouTube link here this afternoon.

@Duane Degn: It is a simple joystick with 4 momentary switches, however I believe I will be getting a nice analog joystick soon that will allow for more freedom. As for the perspective and progressive, progressive control is where you only have to tap the joystick to get it moving in that direction. You stop it with the Action button. If progressive control is off, then when you release the joystick the robot stops. I'll demonstrate in the video. Perspective steering I still have not gotten right, but it lets you move the robot due to your position. I really need a compass module to do this right. For example, if perspective steering is on and you click the joystick right, it should turn right then go forward, if you press left after then it will turn 180 degrees and go forward, etc. Automatic mode works alone, but it sometimes malfunctions when you turn it on with the remote. The High-Speed steering and Automatic mode are newer functions just added this week, which is why I haven't had a chance to work out the kinks in them yet.

Thanks for your encouragement!
    Microcontrolled
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-03-18 05:51
    7 pounds! That must be a record.
    Drop that and it'll leave a mark.
    edited 2011-03-18 13:07
    Here's the video! I'm bad on camera, but if you can deal with listening to me, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4q6pX7tuQ
    Hope you enjoy it! I demonstrate all the working features of the robot. I have a malfunction halfway through the video, so even things I thought were error free must still have errors. In my next update I'll show all the features that aren't working in this video. Hopefully I'll have the GPS module added by then.

Thanks!
    Microcontrolled
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-03-18 13:22
    Amazing!

Nice Job!

OBC
    edited 2011-03-18 13:36
    Thanks! Now all I need is to mount your Robotic Arm on top......
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-03-18 13:50
    Cool video! Thanks for making it.

I have a touchscreen controller I use with my robots. You gave me a bunch of good ideas on features to add.

SparkFun recently started to carry these analog triggers. I need to figure out a way to add them to my controller. I like that they are analog. (I'm a big fan of proportional control.)

I look forward to your next video.

Duane
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2011-03-18 14:43
    Microcontrolled
    Nice work and I am with Duane on the proportional control with the joystick. I have some extra joystick modules that are new and was designed for RC control that your stick might be able to fit onto. I plan to sell some of my extras but If you want a couple send me a PM with your adress and I will send you a couple. They have two Pots and stay where you put them so you can move it and it will hold the position. They are about 1 inch or so cubed in size and the arm is a threaded stud so you can put any type of joystick arm you make onto it.
    edited 2011-03-18 20:41
    I'll take your advice with the joystick. I have a consulting job right now and I am working for parts. The person I am working for is offering me a professional industrial grade triple axis analog joystick as part of the payment. I hope it will fit the hole I have for the current one, because I plan on replacing it. It's a shame though that I have to do away with the cool looking red one, but this will increase proformence and accuracy. (according to you, and you seem to be right most of the time.) :-)
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-03-31 06:44
    @Micro - Awesome project! This is the best Stingray project I've seen. As far as the video - I thought it was very well done. It is hard to shoot, talk and demo all at the same time and you did a great job. I look forward to seeing more.

Glad I found it - I usually spend more time in the Robotics forum - guess I have to start reading them all! ;-)
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2011-05-14 11:22
    I've just seen your video.
    It is actually the coolest Remote Ever!!!
    congratulation!
    edited 2011-05-14 12:21
    WOW thank you very much!
    I was wondering what kind of post pushed this thread back up to the top, so this is a pleasant surprise!

I have to say that this is the longest lasting project I've ever owned, probably because of it's versatility. Both the robot and the remote have sat on top of my desk (I still get them out to play with occasionally) WITHOUT either one being salvaged for parts! Usually the biggest danger to my projects is my need to salvage a part out of it because I don't want to spend money on a new one. This usually leads to destruction of my projects, but the robot has stayed strong. When I get enough money to buy a robot arm or parts for one, I'll take this back off the shelf and mount it to the top, then I get the fun of programming it again! :-)
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2011-05-14 13:37
    Hi microcontrolled,

the robot arms that can be bought are way too expensive.

If you manufacture most of the parts from 2mm aluminium stripes it will be much cheaper.

HiTec provides servos in a great variety of strength (torque) and weight.
    One of the strongest is this one. http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-805bb_mega_power.html Still at a low price (for that strength)

I estimate 5 servos ranging from the above (for the shoulder of the robot arm down to this one http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-225bb_mighty_mini.html
    for the handwrist you pay around $150 for the servos.

best regards

Stefan
    612 x 816 - 145K
    550 x 367 - 41K
    558 x 394 - 27K
    376 x 439 - 21K
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-05-14 13:52
    Cool Remote. I really like the design, the Arcade style joystick, and the touch screen. You have me thinking for future RC aircraft.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-05-14 17:19
    My budget for my brass hardware store robot arm was roughly $150 as well. With most of the cost being the servos.
    1024 x 826 - 74K
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2011-05-15 02:28
    Martin's robotic arm design is very smart.
    It seems simple and very strong!
    Martin, perhaps I'll steal some ideas from your design for my next robotic arm :) !.
    I think it is a perfect solution for cheap and reliable robotic arm. (Have you designed a gripper? If not I have a simple and strong design to suggest you)
    It is a very good suggestion for Microcontrolled to save money!
    edited 2011-05-15 04:39
    @Martan_H: I LOVE that robot arm! What a great idea! I just might have to steal your design...
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-05-15 04:44
    NikosG and Microcontrolled, thanks for the compliments. I have a thread with full detail, including a video and source code over in the robotic sub-forum:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130199-Hints-About-My-New-Project-(Video)

Originally the thread was hints about the project, so the thread name doesn't say what it's about.
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-19 15:43
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I think you might be breaking some sort of law. I don't think teenagers are supposed to have this much fun.

I am a preteen. Arrest me too!!:smile: