Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Re: Contest Entry for an Wireless Web based Ship Monitoring and Control system — Parallax Forums

Re: Contest Entry for an Wireless Web based Ship Monitoring and Control system

bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
edited 2012-09-27 15:06 in Accessories
This is contest entry for an Wireless Web based Ship Monitoring and Control system that will be able to check on status and control ship based monitoring systems such as
1) Monitor and control the Bilge Alarm panel in case of flooding problems. Which as 13 inputs.
2) Monitor and control the F/A panel in case of fire on board ship.
3) Monitor the Electrical Switchboard.
4) Monitor and control the Solar Charger.

The system will be able to allow key personnel to see status by web browser and also be able to silence the horn that will be mounted outside on the ship's deck through the web browser. The system will send and receive status from the Propeller based I/O controller using Bi-Directional Serial communicate to the Spinneret. The Spinneret will be connected to CradlePoint CBA250 allow access to the Spinneret to communicate to the outside world.

This will be aboard the former USS Zuni / USCGC Tamaroa which was the ship the book and the movie "The Perfect Storm" was based on.

Comments

• bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-03-18 09:47
    Hi all,

As you all can tell. Me and an other member of Zuni Maritime Foundation are working on our web based monitoring our ship and what I am looking for the best or the easier object to work with. This object has to be able to read the RS485 com port which will be setup to talk to and from an Propeller, which is reading and controlling the I/O (eg alarm horn, push buttons and float switches).

The one big question that I have is. Will this variable name like this
    alrm
    and a value like this
    work for http coding that will need be sent and received from the Propeller or those it need to be like this
    alrm1 = 0 'float switch off
    alrm1 = 1 'float switch on

The goal of this question is to make sure sending the correct variables back to the Spinneret.

Attached is a photo of the ship that system will be going on and a drawing on how the system is going be setup to give you all an idea what trying to do.

Thanks for any help you all provide and you all will be helping our ship.

Updated: I have changed the block diagram based on forum members suggestions
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-03-18 11:14
    Um... I'm not sure what you're asking.

Two common methods for submiting variables to a web server are in the URL (GET) and in the body of the HTTP message (POST).
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

A GET request looks like [some url]?name=value&name2=value2
    A POST is when you submit a web form. The form name/value collection is contained in the body of the HTTP message and looks like [header] [new line] [new line] [name=value&name2=value2] if you where to view the request.
    edited 2011-03-18 21:19
    What, I am asking is what are there legal values for GET and POST requests? Can the GET request have an numbers like this 3 or 5 in the value or value2 in your example
    [some url]?name=value&name2=value2.

Why, I ask this is each input the Propeller sends down the RS485 network has an number value assign to it, like this

alrmval = 1 (bilge switch 1) and alrmval = 2 (bilge switch 2) and so on for following inputs.

The main goal is to see the states of the inputs that are connected to the Propeller and also send back an value such as this silval = 1 which can silence that input, which in turn silences the outside horn.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding I work overnite maintenance and was up for 16+ hours and hope you understand what I am trying to do.
    edited 2011-03-18 22:28
    What, I am asking is what are ther legal values for GET and POST requests? Can the GET request have an numbers like this 3 or 5 in the value or value2 in your example
    [some url]?name=value&name2=value2.

Sure, no problem... just be careful of encoding.
    Why, I ask this is each input the Propeller sends down the RS485 network has an number value assign to it, like this

alrmval = 1 (bilge switch 1) and alrmval = 2 (bilge switch 2) and so on for following inputs.

The communication protocol is up to you. Is alrmval = 1 a Naval standard?
    edited 2011-03-19 01:17
    Is alrmval = 1 a Naval standard?
    No, is not. It is something that I came up with. This is my first time working with HTTP coding and working with the Spinneret. The member with our group is also helping me, it is his first time working with the Spinneret as well. I just wanted to double check.

Since I know this now. I can finalized the Propeller Based I/O Controller that will be down near the main switchboard.

Cool and thank you for your help.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2011-03-19 17:05
    If the GSM modem is RS232, does that mean you're doing serial over Ethernet through the WIZNet chip?
    edited 2011-03-19 21:45
    @xanadu,
    If the GSM modem is RS232, does that mean you're doing serial over Ethernet through the WIZNet chip?
    Yes, I was talked out of using Ethernet to talk to my Propeller I/O Controller, because I need the I/O pins on the Prop and I was trying to do something can't be done. Which is, use the USB programming port for an com port through an USB to Ethernet Adapter and the other end was going to be connected into the Spinneret. I tough it could be done. I love using RS485 because it is easy to add anything into the network and the cable runs can run up to 4000 foot.

We are also talking about GSM cellar here in this thread as well.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130440-GMS-Cellar-Modem-with-the-Spinneret&p=985769#post985769

The decsion hasn't not been made on which GSM modem I was going to use.

Me and an other member of our group who lives 150 miles away from me are working together on this project. He will be are beta tester and is also doing http coding for the site design and I am doing the hardware design and coding for the Propeller I/O Controller and the Spinneret.
    edited 2011-03-21 17:52
    Whoops, just realized I wrote the same thing yesterday haha.

I could be way off base here, but just an FYI - remember this is a Spinneret contest, not a Propeller chip contest. I'm not sure if I fully understand what you said above but it sounds to me like your shying away from the 5100 chip, which leaves only a Prop chip, not really a Spinneret. I would consider talking to Parallax about that before building it.

The 4 pins on the Spinneret are plenty to talk to another Prop chip, and then that one can talk to even more, aren't they? Then you take your GSM modem's TCP/IP stack and setup your WAN network. You should highly consider a gateway between the modem and the Spinneret.
    edited 2011-03-21 19:48
    That's ok. I do realized this an Spinneret contest, not a Propeller chip contest. I am going to use the 5100 chip and I am not going to shy away form it.

Ok, which GSM modem do you suggest me to use for this contest? This was the one, I was thinking about to use first PIC GSM Cellular Development Board http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8851

We are nonprofit group and any thing we do comes out of our pockets or from dontions from other people like you.
    edited 2011-03-22 13:18
    Hey sorry for beating that issue to death lol. I was just confused as to how it worked.
    bsnut wrote: »
    Ok, which GSM modem do you suggest me to use for this contest? This was the one, I was thinking about to use first PIC GSM Cellular Development Board http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8851

My next question is are you sure you want to be locked into GSM 900/1800/1900Mhz?

Where did you want data connectivity in the world?

Is your project more like a monitoring/control system for when the ship is docked and empty?

Controlling bilges and silencing alarms on a ship that size, why not just stick to monitoring? You're really setting the bar high, I don't think it needs to be that high, at least not in this amount of time.
    edited 2011-03-22 18:13
    That's ok, you are not beating this issue to death and the whole idea is to talk about. Of, course I am trying to stay within one of the guidelines in the contest.
    My next question is are you sure you want to be locked into GSM 900/1800/1900Mhz?
    It is one board that noticed that had ethernet on the board. Do have any other ideas for better GSM modem?
    Where did you want data connectivity in the world?
    We as an group needs to be able to see what is going on board ship and this saves us from connected to a landline on shore.
    Is your project more like a monitoring/control system for when the ship is docked and empty?
    Yes, it is boats and ships do sink?
    Controlling bilges and silencing alarms on a ship that size, why not just stick to monitoring?
    We need to be able to turn off the outside horn, when we noticed alrarm. This ship is like an small floating building.

I always love an good contest like this one and group can use the prize money if we win. If, I don't win the group is noticed for what we are trying to do and that is saving our nations history.
    edited 2011-03-22 20:06
    I still don't know where the modem will be operated... You need to include that. Tri-band GSM will only work at port (not out at sea) and only in 75% the ports abroad. Is that cool?

A ship your size is required to have ship to shore, most of those can do data, you sure you can't just use that connection?
    edited 2011-03-22 20:09
    I always love an good contest like this one and group can use the prize money if we win. If, I don't win the group is noticed for what we are trying to do and that is saving our nations history.

I completely understand, I wish I could work on that ship. That would be a dream come true for me.
    edited 2011-03-23 02:11
    xanadu wrote: »
    I still don't know where the modem will be operated... You need to include that. Tri-band GSM will only work at port (not out at sea) and only in 75% the ports abroad. Is that cool?

The GSM modem will be located on the Bridge "02 Deck".
    A ship your size is required to have ship to shore, most of those can do data, you sure you can't just use that connection?

Yes, are ship is required to have an basic ship to shore VHF radio for voice communications, which we do have. One thing about VHF ship radios, they only work well in line of sight. They do make marine cellular based systems that do internet, but they are expensive ( I will be happy camper if someone donated one our group.) and I was looking for an inexpensive way to cover all sensors, I want to cover. The other systems that I looked at, only cover 4 points and would send one text message for each point. This type of system is only good for smaller boats.

My idea for an ship monitoring system came from two type of systems. One was text message based and other one was based on an building automation system that is web based for monitoring and control that I work with at my work.
    edited 2011-03-23 06:47
    bsnut, I have a few question about your project. I think it's a cool project but I don't understand how the components fit together.

How will you connect the Spinneret to the Internet or LAN? Is the GSM modem always connected to the Internet? Can you view the status of the ship with a browser on demand 24/7? If an alarm fires, what happens?
    edited 2011-03-23 16:34
    Mike G wrote: »
    bsnut, I have a few question about your project. I think it's a cool project but I don't understand how the components fit together.

How will you connect the Spinneret to the Internet or LAN?
    I was going use an GSM modem to be connection to the Internet. I did little bit more looking into the PIC GSM modem and found out it has it's own IP address. So, my thinking is, I my need a Workgroup Switch for the Internet. Yes, can say the GSM modem will make this a interesting project, as you can tell.
    Is the GSM modem always connected to the Internet?
    Yes, it needs to be connected to the Internet
    Can you view the status of the ship with a browser on demand 24/7?
    Yes, that is the whole idea of this project.
    If an alarm fires, what happens?
    When the Fire Alarm goes off it will set off it's horn/strobe that is on the outside of the ship and sent SMS to me, to the directors and an call out list of numbers
    edited 2011-03-23 18:04
    I just assumed that since the GSM modem takes a SIM card, that the modem would show up on your monthly bill. If I had my cell on and connected to the internet 24/7 that would make for a hefty bill.
    edited 2011-03-23 19:00
    I meant where in the world is the ship when you need internet? I'm probably over complicating this. You probably just need this to work at port in VA right?
    edited 2011-03-23 19:01
    Mike G wrote: »
    I just assumed that since the GSM modem takes a SIM card, that the modem would show up on your monthly bill. If I had my cell on and connected to the internet 24/7 that would make for a hefty bill.

I think that depends on the carrier and most require an unlimited data plan now because of those abnormally high bills.
    edited 2011-03-23 19:05
    They do make marine cellular based systems that do internet, but they are expensive ( I will be happy camper if someone donated one our group.)

No, this is where the confusion is coming from. There is not cellular on the ocean, there is only satellite. Cellular uses ground based antennas which in SoCal we have voice 1 mile offshore, data to about 1.5 miles, past that nothing. If you need this to work in international shipping lanes, it's not gonna happen on GSM.
    edited 2011-03-23 19:12
    Yes it does use an SIM card. The one good thing that this GSM modem has, it uses the an PIC chip to pass the data through to the cellular module. I also know, I need to reprogram the PIC that is on this board as well. You also gave me the idea of using the RS232 part for sending SMS messages to our key personnel. But, I the idea is I want to catch false alarms before an SMS messages is sent out. I will also make to the change my block diagram later on.

Are big goal is to save are nations history. Remember this ship did the real rescue in the "Prefect Storm" that the book and movie was based on.
    edited 2011-03-24 00:28
    Let me cover everyone's points.

The monitoring system will be use when we are docked and not when the ship is out at sea. Remember this is going to be an museum ship. It's only going to be used when no one is on board doing work or giving tours.

Let me move on to your guys other point about the Sim card. Right now we will be doing prepaid for testing and I realize it can be expensive for the long term. One of my goals is to get unlimited data plan with an cell phone provider. If, I can't get an unlimited data plan I will need to come up with something else.

I guess, I didn't give all the details about this project and that is my problem for not providing all of information to the forum members.
    edited 2011-03-24 07:25
    Let me clear up any misunderstandings in my posts. I know that cell phones don't work beyond 1.5 miles from shore and satellite will only work. Some of my posts are done at work on my phone, due to the fact I work overnight electrical maintenance and have to stop in the middle of an post. I am thinking that you all have visited our group's website to see what we are all about, since it is posted in another thread in the Spinneret forums. Here is our website to give you all idea what are group is trying to do with our ship http://www.zunitamaroa.org/

Are group works off of donations and our group members to keep our projects going. This project is coming out of my and another member's pocket to fund what we are going to do.

Remember I am open to all suggestions that you all make and I may use them in this project in one way.
    edited 2011-03-24 14:40
    Let me clear up any misunderstandings in my posts. I know that cell phones don't work beyond 1.5 miles from shore and satellite will only work. Some of my posts are done at work on my phone, due to the fact I work overnight electrical maintenance and have to stop in the middle of an post. I am thinking that you all have visited our group's website to see what we are all about, since it is posted in another thread in the Spinneret forums. Here is our website to give you all idea what are group is trying to do with our ship http://www.zunitamaroa.org/

Are group works off of donations and our group members to keep our projects going. This project is coming out of my and another member's pocket to fund what we are going to do.

Remember I am open to all suggestions that you all make and I may use them in this project in one way.

Okay thank you. I was never quite sure where it would need to work that's why all the questions. So now you just need to see which carrier has the best signal on the boat and what it costs.

Also keep in mind the inexpensive 3G connections use dynamic IPs. You will need a service like dyndns.com running to reach it from the outside world. That will need a compatible router or computer on the network to update. They will also disable some incoming ports, and outgoing ports.

I would look at CradlePoint too, they make excellent products and it's the same price as the sparkfun board.

One other thought- Since you're working on such a historic ship, you may be able to get a wireless sponsor. I bet if you found the right person at the right provider you could work a deal. Given the nature of the ship being a museum, if I were Verizon or Sprint I'd gladly do something like that.
    edited 2011-03-24 16:21
    xanadu wrote: »
    Okay thank you. I was never quite sure where it would need to work that's why all the questions. So now you just need to see which carrier has the best signal on the boat and what it costs.

Also keep in mind the inexpensive 3G connections use dynamic IPs. You will need a service like dyndns.com running to reach it from the outside world. That will need a compatible router or computer on the network to update. They will also disable some incoming ports, and outgoing ports.

I would look at CradlePoint too, they make excellent products and it's the same price as the sparkfun board.

One other thought- Since you're working on such a historic ship, you may be able to get a wireless sponsor. I bet if you found the right person at the right provider you could work a deal. Given the nature of the ship being a museum, if I were Verizon or Sprint I'd gladly do something like that.

Thank you for your post Xanadu . Is this the site and idem you are talking about http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-n-portable-router-ctr35? This is an cool product and I knew that one was out there and it is priced right. I have an Virgin Mobile USB modem that I was using for the laptop (one I am doing this post on), which I don't use anymore due to the fact that I have smart phone which I use now for my laptop Internet connection now.

I was trying to use the Virgin Mobile USB modem in this project, but didn't think it would work. The Virgin Mobile USB modem, now has unlimited Internet access for around $40 a month and it's prepaid This now changes the whole show now and meets the requirement of this contest and provides the ship with Internet access, which was my other goal.
    edited 2011-03-24 17:32
    Thank you for your post Xanadu . Is this the site and idem you are talking about http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-n-portable-router-ctr35? This is an cool product and I knew that one was out there and it is priced right. I have an Virgin Mobile USB modem that I was using for the laptop (one I am doing this post on), which I don't use anymore due to the fact that I have smart phone which I use now for my laptop Internet connection now.

I was trying to use the Virgin Mobile USB modem in this project, but didn't think it would work. The Virgin Mobile USB modem, now has unlimited Internet access for around $40 a month and it's prepaid This now changes the whole show now and meets the requirement of this contest and provides the ship with Internet access, which was my other goal.

The CTR35 can be problematic and doesn't connect the WAN to wired network in the way you need, only wi-fi. I could be wrong since I haven't had one in awhile and sometimes they do add stuff in firmware releases. The other thing is the CTR35 has NO external antenna port for the built in wireless, so that's not good if you want there to be any wireless on the ship, you're going to need a real antenna on it, and probably another access point in addition to it on your LAN.

Check this PDF if you haven't-
    http://cradlepoint.com/files/uploads/Cradlepoint_ProductLine_02-11_sm.pdf

Because of port forwarding, routing, and the fact your IP is dynamic. I would go with the CTR500. It has a whole slew of features you can use IF you have a supported USB or PCMCIA Modem device :)

You should call up CradlePoint, explain who,what,where,why. I think that any vendor would be more than obliged to help you out. I don't want to give you any bad advice so it's hard to be specific when you're over there. Honestly if I were CradlePoint and your mobile provider I'd be giving you some deep discounts, being a Historic Maritime Museum, I wouldn't expect anything less. In fact I insist (if you have not) you look for sponsors for this type of thing, you could be missing out on some really good deals.
    edited 2011-03-24 22:46
    Thanks for pointing out the CTR500 Xanadu. I was also looking at the CBA250, which we maybe getting. It provides IP Pass-Through capabilities for a LAN device requiring wireless broadband access and it's at the same price as the CTR500 which cool as well. Do have any experience with the CBA250 or toughs?
    edited 2011-03-26 13:24
    Thanks for pointing out the CTR500 Xanadu. I was also looking at the CBA250, which we maybe getting. It provides IP Pass-Through capabilities for a LAN device requiring wireless broadband access and it's at the same price as the CTR500 which cool as well. Do have any experience with the CBA250 or toughs?

I haven't used that one, but it looks like a good choice. If you plug the CBA250 into a router that does port forwarding and dynamic DNS you should be ok without a computer on the LAN. For your available incoming port range you're at the mercy of your carrier. Some block the usual ports, some block the upper range, some change when they feel like it...

So yeah that hardware is going to get you by. As IT goes, I'm not really allowed to recommend running a web server on a non-business ISP account with a dynamic IP. If you're going to do this, you should consider getting a static IP business account. That would be much more reliable and less restricted as far as ports, and their terms of service. There's always a chance you can upgrade the account on the fly so my best advice is test what you can without buying anything, make some calls, etc.
    edited 2011-03-27 01:54
    I would like to update our project status on what we decided to do. Some of you have seen the old block diagram and noticed the we were going to use RS485 to communicate with the Spinneret. We also decided to use this for future expansion at a later date and the following is how the system is going to be setup.

The Spinneret Ethernet connection is going to communicate with the CradlePoint CBA250 which is going to have the Virgin Mobile USB modem plugged into the CBA250. Of, course the CBA250 will be located on the Bridge "02 Deck", which is the highest point on our ship.

The Spinneret will be next to and connected to the Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform USB. It will communicate using the the "Full Duplex Serial" to pass the control variables back and forth to the Spinneret.

I will update the Block Diagram today and will post our updates in this thread as we move through the coding and testing phases of this project. I will also post our code as well.
    edited 2011-03-28 15:44
    Awesome, let me know when I can log in and drive the ship around please :)