Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Private Networking with your propeller — Parallax Forums

Private Networking with your propeller

mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
edited 2011-03-13 19:14 in Accessories
I received my Spinneret on Friday and of course wanted to play the first chance I got. Like more and more houses today, we live and die by our wireless network connectivity.....which the Spinneret doesn't support, yet. I do have a switch and ports in my office and of course there are a couple left where the service enters the house.

Luckily, all these WiFi attached computers have an unused RJ45 Ethernet connection. If I had a crossover cable, all would be good....IF. After a little research on the 'nets, I learned that most Ethernet card these days support something called auto-MDIX and can figure out what kind of cable is attached and if it's a DCE/DTE (normal) connect or a DTE/DTE or DCE/DCE connection. This is perfect!!

I plugged my Spinneret int my laptop's Ethernet connection and it up as a private network.

PC IP Address: 10.0.0.1
PC Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
PC Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Spinneret IP: 10.0.0.2
Spinneret Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Spinneret Gateway: 10.0.0.1
Spinneret AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

The perfect setup for playing with your Spinneret while sitting in your comfy chair in front of the TV.....life is good!

There are some drawbacks to this arrangement and you may need to change some coding or web pages before you expose your Spinneret to the outside world but for R&D and playtime, I thought this worked out pretty slick.

Of course, this should work with any PC with a spare network port if you happen to have a cross-over cable.

Hope this helps someone get going or provides another source of inspiration to the community.

Rick