Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with Boe Bot navigation — Parallax Forums

Need help with Boe Bot navigation

the99erthe99er Posts: 7
edited 2011-03-09 22:18 in BASIC Stamp
How would I program my boe bot to make a transition from boe bot navigation to IR navigation all in the same program???

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-03-09 20:45
    What do you mean by "boe bot navigation"? What do you mean by "IR navigation"?
    What do you mean by "transition"? How do you want the BoeBot to behave when it senses something?
  • the99erthe99er Posts: 7
    edited 2011-03-09 20:53
    I want my boe bot to do some maneuvers like forward, turn right, turn left, ect.Then I want it to come to a stop and go into Navigating with Infrared Headlights.
    edited 2011-03-09 21:01
    Have you actually looked at the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial that comes with the BoeBot, can be downloaded from Parallax, and comes with the help files of the Stamp Editor? This navigates with IR headlights and contains routines to do the maneuvers you mentioned. If you don't understand Parallax Basic, you need to go through the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial, also downloadable from Parallax and included with the Stamp Editor.
    edited 2011-03-09 21:19
    Thanks, I have read the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial, but I still dont understand how to do it. I will take a look at "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial.
    edited 2011-03-09 21:29
    The Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial is pretty thorough. The IR Navigation section starts around page 249 and goes through adapting and modifying the Roaming with Whiskers program to use IR distance sensing, then further refining it for more sophisticated IR navigation.

The original Roaming programs have subroutines for the various movements. If you want the BoeBot to go through some fixed maneuvers before starting the main navigation loop, put subroutine calls before the beginning of the main loop.
    edited 2011-03-09 21:45
    [FONT=&quot]I have done the IR part, but I don’t know how to make the bot blindly follow a set course like forward 1 foot, turn left, forward 1foot, turn left, and forward 1 foot without IR, and then start moving around with IR navigation. I will check out the book some more. [/FONT]
    edited 2011-03-09 22:18
    The "moving forward 1 foot" will take some experimentation. The move forward and move backward subroutines move for period of time at a speed dependent partially on the servos you have and what kind of surface the wheels are on. You'll have to vary the loop counts to get approximately a foot of movement. Unless you add the wheel encoders, there's no way to get exact distances.