Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Stamp found, but I get data from the program and echo from the Identify routine — Parallax Forums

No Stamp found, but I get data from the program and echo from the Identify routine

Dave MuellerDave Mueller Posts: 3
edited 2011-03-06 10:35 in BASIC Stamp
After gathering dust in the junkbox since 2003, I decided to relearn Stamp programming. I downloaded the latest editor (2.5.1 for XP). I can't get it to talk to the Stamp. I have:

BS2p24 on the Demo Board
RS232 COM1 via the same DB9 straight cable I use for all of my devices
Tried several power supplies. I get good 5V from the 7805 on the Demo Board and on the Vdd pin of the Stamp.

"Identify" shows COM1 and 2, for COM1 no loopback but yes for echo. I can see data go in and out of the Sin and Sout pins.

Here's the strange part: It's running a program, and I can see the data in the debug window. The last thing I used it for was the LTC1298 A/D converter. I have a 10K pot wired to the chip and the data in the debug window changes as I change the pot value.

I removed 2.5.1 of the editor and installed 1.33 from the original CD, but that didn't make any difference so I'm back on 2.5.1.

Am I missing something obvious? Is it because there's a program running that I can't send data to the Stamp? If so, how do I stop it, since it runs as soon as you power it up?

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-03-05 18:28
    Dave,

Can you please upload the program code you're using so we can all take a look at it (with multiple analytical eyes)? It sounds like something fairly straightforward.

Mark
  • Dave MuellerDave Mueller Posts: 3
    edited 2011-03-05 18:56
    Mark, I don't have whatever code is running on the Stamp now. From the output, it looks like the code that comes with the LTC1298 app kit, since the output is a sequential number followed by the a/d value of the pot (eg 0:890 1:890 2:1004...)

Since I've forgotten everything about the Stamp, I was starting with the usual "hello world" code from the manual:

' {$STAMP BS2p}
    DEBUG "Hello World"

When I try to run, I get the "No BASIC Stamps found" popup. It's weird that I get an echo from the ID function, and can see the data coming from the Stamp.
  • Dave MuellerDave Mueller Posts: 3
    edited 2011-03-05 19:08
    I found it. Believe it or not, it was the cable. The Demo board needs to have DTR connected from the PC. The cable I've been using forever probably only has TXD, RXD and ground, it's been forever since I've worked with anything that used full hardware control!

Now it's time to get into real trouble!
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-03-06 05:13
    "Forever" just ain't what it used to be.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-03-06 10:35
    I found it. Believe it or not, it was the cable. The Demo board needs to have DTR connected from the PC. The cable I've been using forever probably only has TXD, RXD and ground, it's been forever since I've worked with anything that used full hardware control!

Now it's time to get into real trouble!
    '
    Glad you got it going.
    '
    "real trouble" can be a good thing!
    '
    Welcome to the forums.