Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I used the PINK (Internet Netburner Kit) and now is Discontinued. Any alternative ? — Parallax Forums

I used the PINK (Internet Netburner Kit) and now is Discontinued. Any alternative ?

markustermarkuster Posts: 184
edited 2011-03-08 14:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

Do you know an alternative instead of the PINK ?
It seems the Spinneret is for Propeller microcontroller only.

I think Parallax doesn't have to forget the Stamp customers.

Any alternative ?

Mark.

Comments

• kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2011-03-02 15:50
    Although Parallax is not selling it anymore, it is available here now...
    http://www.netburner.com/pink/index.html
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-03-02 15:51
    The Spinneret is fully capable of interfacing with a BASIC Stamp through it's 3-pin serial port. Of course, there will be some Prop programming to do on the Spinneret side to satisfy your app requirements. What did you want the Spinneret to do?

-Phil
  • markustermarkuster Posts: 184
    edited 2011-03-02 16:01
    Hi,

I usually use the Pink to display temperature using a simple html page and it works fine.
    Now it seems that the spinneret is like a black box ( for me) .
    Do you know how can I do that with the spinneret ?

Thanks, Mark
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-03-02 16:12
    Mark,

If you need another PINK module I have a new one available if you are interested.
  • markustermarkuster Posts: 184
    edited 2011-03-03 12:38
    Thanks Don and Phil:

But I really want to know how can I use the Spinneret with my Stamp to display
    temperature by web . I don't like the Parallax politics that take out a product easily .

I am not an expert and I think Parallax could understand that loyalty is not a toy.

Mark.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-03-03 12:51
    My observations: Parallax is not toying with loyalty. The PINK had become a maintenance problem since Netburner had modified their firmware for Parallax, kept control of it, and was slow to do updates which had to go from Netburner through Parallax. Netburner is not strictly "at fault" since this is a custom low volume product as far as they're concerned. Parallax did what could be done for their customers by arranging for Netburner to continue distributing the PINK with the custom firmware and to continue to maintain it.

Once the Propeller had been able to act as a webserver (initially with the YBox2), Parallax began to look into developing their own board and supporting the development of a variety of server software for the Spinneret. Note that the YBox2 is capable of displaying temperature over the web using a modification of its existing "widgets". It's not anywhere as easy as the PINK can be, but it's not hard for someone comfortable in basic Spin and HTML since the hard parts are written already and there are a few examples.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-03-03 13:19
    I've never used the PINK; but, from looking at its documentation, there doesn't seem to be anything there that the Spinneret could not duplicate. It would take a bit of effort to make that happen, though. OTOH, given the supreme flexibility offered by having the Prop on board, there are probably better ways to do what the PINK did, so I'm not entirely sure that duplicating the PINK's functionality verbatim is a worthwhile objective.

In any event, the PINK was a finished product; the Spinneret is not (yet) but has the potential to run circles around the PINK. As a friend of mine likes to say (tongue-in-cheek, of course), "The rest is just programming!"

-Phil
  • nbpinknbpink Posts: 2
    edited 2011-03-07 13:35
    Hello,

NetBurner does not normally monitor the Parallax forum, but we thought it was important to add a comment to this thread. Parallax has made it a point to us to ensure their customers are supported on PINK, and I can tell you that NetBurner fully supports the PINK, both hardware and software. We have no plans to discontinue the product. In fact, the most recent software update provides SSL connectivity which is required to send email to providers like yahoo and google.

The PINK does have significant horsepower as it uses a 32-bit CPU running at 147.5MHz and has 8MBytes of SDRAM. It is possible to write your own programs for the PINK, but the environment is not related to Parallax tools in any way - it requires a NetBurner development kit and good programming skills in C or C++.

For more information, support or sales regarding the PINK, please see this link: http://www.netburner.com/pink/.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-03-07 14:21
    @nbpink

A very good affirmation on your continued support of the PINK. Many had been thought they where left out to dry. Bravo Netburner!
  • wiresalotwiresalot Posts: 40
    edited 2011-03-07 16:14
    Thanks nbpink, I have asked questions, here with no answers, I ask the same question on NB forums and get a answer, and it was a BS2 issue. Not a PINK issue, But you helped anyway, I appreciate that! And Thank you!

wiresalot
  • nbpinknbpink Posts: 2
    edited 2011-03-08 14:27
    Thank you both for the kind words. I was reminded that I did not provide a link to the NetBurner PINK forum, which is a free forum to ask questions. Here is a link to the main page, you can then navigate to the PINK forum area: http://forum.embeddedethernet.com.