Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
8 pin mini-din breakout board? — Parallax Forums

8 pin mini-din breakout board?

pacmanpacman Posts: 327
edited 2011-03-24 10:08 in General Discussion
Does anyone know of an 8 pin mini-din (female) breakout board?

I've had a look and can not seem to locate one - but you might have better luck than me...

I'm only interested in pins (1, 3 and 7). Perhaps you have a solution?

I would even consider buying some from someone on this board if they were to offer to etch/drill some boards for me - PM me if this is something you would like to discuss....

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2011-02-24 23:54
    You could maybe get one like this one, and drill Pin 7 (remember to remove the trace of Pin 2, to not interfere with Pin 7)

MiniDIN 6-Pin:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8651
    08651-03-L_i_ma.jpg
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2011-02-25 04:08
    Here in Taiwan, we have some boards that have a 8 pin mini-DIN as one end, but the board is large enough for a few 20 pin DIP ICs as well.

You could cut one the end and use that, but I'd rather create a board in Eagle and get exactly what I wanted. Spark Fun seems one of the best for break out boards. If they don't have it, it will be rather hard to locate.

Another and maybe better alternative is to get an 8 pin min-DIN socket with eight colored wires attached and use that. Generally, when a board isn't available, a pigtailed socket is the next best thing.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2011-02-25 16:48
    No 8 pin mini-din breakout boards at Spark Fun

If you're just looking for a quick solution, Google Apple serial extension cable. This is a cable with a male 8 pin mini-din on one end and a female on the other end. Plenty of sources for $5 to $10. Most long-time Mac users probably have one or more of these cables in their closet - collecting dust. You might check ebay or Craigslist
  • mlr266mlr266 Posts: 2
    edited 2011-03-23 18:16
    Pacman

I just saw your post and decided to resurrect it!

I ran into the same problem. I am almost glad some one else had the same issue.

I have not found a commercially available solution for this. I did make(hack) my own basic breakout board. I posted details here : http://mlr266.net/?p=35

030.jpg

What is your project and how were you thinking of breaking out the pins? all one side like sparkfun's 6 pin? Or two rows of 4 like what i hacked together? Are you still interested in these breakouts?

I have been thinking of trying my hand at making a PCB for my project. If you still have a need, i could work something up that fits both of our needs.
    1024 x 683 - 52K
    030.jpg 52.5K
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 327
    edited 2011-03-24 02:43
    I'm still searching (though I have managed to get some line sockets - for proof of concept (thanks Phil) ordered from "element14 {once were Farnel}).

Basiacally I need 'decent' screw terminals (2 sets of 4) and a socket in between them somewhere. I only need to break-out three pins from the minidin.

Sort of {time for some bad ascii art}
    ####
    O
    ####
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-03-24 10:08
    [Plug alert]
    You wouldn't happen to need any more 8 pin din's would you? I have about 300 sitting here with no apparent purpose..... :-)