Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Penguin Build Question — Parallax Forums

Penguin Build Question

guitar_plrguitar_plr Posts: 31
edited 2011-02-25 22:57 in Robotics
Hi All,

Just got my penguin robots and I have a question... Which servos get hooked up to which Jumper port on the battery pack? Unless I missed something, there's no indication on the battery pack/PCB (or schematics) which port is J1/Stride or J2/Tilt. Looking straight down at the battery pack, the USB connector is on the bottom and the ribbon cable is on the top, is J1 on the left and J2 on the right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-02-24 16:03
    guitar_plr wrote: »
    Hi All, Just got my penguin robots and I have a question... Which servos get hooked up to which Jumper port on the battery pack? Unless I missed something, there's no indication on the battery pack/PCB (or schematics) which port is J1/Stride or J2/Tilt. Looking straight down at the battery pack, the USB connector is on the bottom and the ribbon cable is on the top, is J1 on the left and J2 on the right?

Penguin Robot Servo Connections
    Keep track of Penguin servo connections for tilt and stride

Referring to the Penguin Documentation
    attachment.php?attachmentid=78657&d=1298592159
    As seen in this Photo, J1 is on the left and J2 is on the right.
    Jumpers should be labeled on the black board in white
    lettering. This applies to both A and B Penguins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=78658&d=1298594076
    Here you can see J1 and J2 labeled on the Penguin A. It may be difficult to see which servo cable runs where... When running tests, you may want to remove a connector. Don't! Simply plug in one pin on the end of the connector. That way, the connectors and their respective plugs, and the directions of the plugs will never become mixed up.
    393 x 322 - 26K
    622 x 465 - 34K
  • guitar_plrguitar_plr Posts: 31
    edited 2011-02-25 07:09
    Thank you Humanoido. I assumed that J1 would be on the left and J2 on the right, but I just wanted to make sure and not just start plugging things in. :) Strange, on my two penguin boards, there are no white labels next to the jumpers.

Well, everything is working well now, fully built and calibrated. I was a little worried at first because one of his feet was twisted upwards as the tilt servo horn was not perfectly perpendicular, but I was able to compensate for that in the calibration program.

Next up, performing the rework on the battery board...

Thanks.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-02-25 22:57
    guitar_plr wrote: »
    Strange, on my two penguin boards, there are no white labels next to the jumpers.
    Guitar_plr, it's the new REB B board which does NOT have the white J1 and J2 labels. It's obvious that all REV B board-sets (in the only one manufacturing batch) do not have these labels so it's good you asked. The photos I provided are from the original Penguin A. Since the original Penguin A had these labels on the battery board, the manual was written without stating or photographing the obvious. But now with the new Penguin B, the obvious is no longer obvious! So you can consider post #2 an amendment to the manual. Congrats on your successful Penguin assembly!