Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question: Using in-car wiring to pass data... — Parallax Forums

Question: Using in-car wiring to pass data...

MSteinMStein Posts: 9
edited 2011-02-24 15:31 in BASIC Stamp
I have an idea about using the car wiring to pass data through, if I wire the BS2 output through a filter of some sort, can I then pass the data through the car's wiring and pick it up say on the headlight wires?

Is it a matter of filtering the relevant noise from the irrelevant one...?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-02-24 06:35
    Is it a matter of filtering the relevant noise from the irrelevant one...?
    Yes, but in a car that is not an insignificant task.
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2011-02-24 07:47
    I expect it will be a matter of filtering the DC with a cap. I also expect one of two things will happen: #1 the noise on the DC will be very low because of the big ol' battery you have in an automobile absorbing the AC and you have excellent wires for the ignition, or #2 you will have a terrible problem with noise because of the #cyl * 1000 - 5000rpm Hz, 10kV ignition system.

But, with that said, the newest cars have each system run on a network, so maybe it won't be so bad. My suggestion would be pick the wire, set your DMM to AC and see what you're up against..... or better yet an o-scope..... but be careful with the scope and highvoltage. You might want to use the DMM first.

It may be better to run a dedicated shielded and grounded cable.

It should be a forum rule that you have to tell us what your doing!! :) I'm curious!
  • MSteinMStein Posts: 9
    edited 2011-02-24 15:31
    Certainly I understand your curiosity... :)

Without going in too much details, I think automotive electrical systems would be greatly improved by being isolated and properly regulated. I'm thinking of including microchips on every element to gather information on their performance and failures, as well as a good overall system monitering with proper displaying of information can be the next level for new cars. Having a display to tell us a brake light is burnt, a wire is shorting, what sensor is not functioning, the alternator is becoming erratic, or the starter is weakening, all can be shown.... but that's not what I'm doing right now. That's for later...

My thought would be to properly isolate the sub-system I want to use for noise.