Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp behaving strangely... — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp behaving strangely...

N0M4dICN0M4dIC Posts: 14
edited 2011-02-25 17:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone. I've been experiencing weird errors when programming my BS2 on a USB BOE carrier board since about a week. (mounted on a boe-bot)
Most of the time, the BS Editor just failed to locate the stamp, but now, the editor come out with errors such as ''Can not program version vF.F of the BASIC Stamp 2. Contact Parallax Inc. for updated software''.
I've been on the same program for nearly a month and I just don't understand what is going on...

What I have tried already:
1. Change batteries
2. Use a new 9 volts battery instead of the BOE-Bot AA pack (Servos turned off, off course...)
3. Change batteries again (these Duracells does suck...)
4. Run another simple program (First prog in WAM)
5. Shake the USB cable to see if it's broken
6. Change the cable just to be sure while using another USB port
7. Shout at it
8. Ask for help on the Parallax forums

It's probably a stupid problem, but I really can't find it!
So... Help please?

Ignorance is never better than knowledge.
-Enrico Fermi

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-23 15:19
    Their is some special commands that are specific to a Stamp version like BS2sx,BS2p,BS2px. These higher commands will not work on a BS2. I'm not sure if this is whats happen here.
    '
    What?:
    O.S. are you using?
    StampEditor Ver?
    Stamp?
    code?
  • N0M4dICN0M4dIC Posts: 14
    edited 2011-02-23 17:18
    Nope, that's not what's happening here. I've been using the same standard BS2 since WAM. All my codes are written in BS2 only.

O.S: Win7 Ultimate x64
    StampEditor: V2.5
    Stamp: Standard BS2 Rev J
    Code: All kind of. I tried using example codes from WAM, but still doesn't work.

When I try to upload my code to the BS2 , the system fail 1/3 of time to find it (while it's on), and the other 2/3 of time, the editor just pop the error ''Can not program version vF.F of the BASIC Stamp 2. Contact Parallax Inc. for updated software''. I tested it for brownouts, but everything is normal. I really don't get it. I just hope my BS is not broken, even if it is unlikely...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-23 17:51
    Call Parallax Tech Support. You're already dealing with the most common causes for downloading problems (bad power source and bad serial connection). Beyond that, it's unlikely to be something that can be fixed using a forum setting.
  • Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-02-23 18:08
    N0M4dIC wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've been experiencing weird errors when programming my BS2...

What I have tried already:

5. Shake the USB cable to see if it's broken

7. Shout at it

I've tried solutions #5 and #7 before and while they almost never work, they usually make me feel better...!

I agree with Mike: "Call Parallax Tech Support." They're the most helpful tech support folks I've ever dealt with and they're just plain nice people. You've tried all the common solutions and the rest is beyond my limited skill. I would ask, "Is the BS2 installed upside down" (we did that tonight) but you've already said it works 33% of the time.

I've never heard of this error message and I'm eager to hear what you learn. If I had to guess (which I am), I would guess that something on the stamp is cooked.

Good luck,

Mark
    edited 2011-02-23 18:13
    Something is wrong with the program. I'm getting tons of errors coming from the editor (access violation errors for most...). That's new. The thing that I still don't understand is that I use the editor on two different computers with the same result. I'm starting to think the problem is not my stamp...

EDIT: Hmmm? Well, that is weird. I run the program on both my desktop and my laptop while they show the same error. After restarting the editor on both, I still get the error on the laptop but everything is working again on the desktop... This is starting to make me pull my hair off!

I'm contacting the Parallax tech support... But any of you guys ever heard of such a problem?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-23 19:23
    It most likely is not your Stamp. All kinds of weird things happen sometimes with Windows
    edited 2011-02-23 19:32
    Well, I guess that my old Ubuntu partition will serve again... Let's see if this works *while* being stable...
    edited 2011-02-24 12:57
    Okay, I think I have found the problem. For an unknown reason, the editor seem to lose all COM connnections after a random time of use. I really don't know why it does that but at least I know what to do... Shut up and reboot!
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-25 17:34
    N0M4dIC wrote: »
    Okay, I think I have found the problem. For an unknown reason, the editor seem to lose all COM connnections after a random time of use. I really don't know why it does that but at least I know what to do... Shut up and reboot!
    '
    The next time your COM ports hang-up, Open the Task Manager and look at what app.s are running in the back round.
    '
    I would look for printer/camera USB app.s like Lexmark,HP,Epperson,etc.