Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Knobs — Parallax Forums

Using Knobs

LazercatLazercat Posts: 2
edited 2011-02-19 15:06 in BASIC Stamp
Hello! I am using a BASIC Stamp 2 Module and am completely new to it. I was wondering how one would go about using something like a knob to read a value into the microcontroller and based on that value output different things. For example if i had an lcd display that as i turned a knob the value on the display would go between 0-100. Is something like this possible on the BASIC Stamp? Thank you!

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-17 20:11
    Yes
    '
    Take a look in StampWorks.
    '
    heres the link.
    '
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/sw/Web-SW-v2.1.pdf
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-17 21:51
    The question is "what's on the other end of the knob?". You can put a knob on a variable resistor (potentiometer) or you can put a knob on a digital encoder. There are other ways to get a number into something like a Stamp, but the first is probably the simplest. Look in both the StampWorks Manual and the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual" under the RCTIME statement for examples.
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-02-17 23:10
    I agree with Mike's post. What I understand is you want to connect a variable (analog) voltage to the BS2. The RCTIME command is what you need to use for what you are trying to do and you find examples in the Stamp Editor help file.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-19 08:01
    Sorry
    '
    I forgot to state what to look for in StampWorks.(RCTIME)
    '
    "Brain-Fart"
  • LazercatLazercat Posts: 2
    edited 2011-02-19 15:06
    Wonderful! Thank you so much for the help guys! I really appreciate it!