Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
serial communication with the propeller servo controller USB (PSCU) - how to? — Parallax Forums

serial communication with the propeller servo controller USB (PSCU) - how to?

nishimunishimu Posts: 2
edited 2011-02-18 04:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hi
I'm trying to communicate with the STAMP on a BOE through a serial line to the propeller servo controller USB #28830. ( I am using the same program that I used for the older servo controller (no longer available)). Although the program is identical to the one in the write up for #28830, I can't seem to control the servo motors that are connect to the #28830. The green light flashes, but nothing. Has anyone encountered this problem? (I've been trying for some days, but no luck. tech support at Parallax doesn't seem to be able to help.) I would be so grateful if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. What am I missing here?
Allan

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-02-17 13:44
    Power?
    Connections; power, servo, and serial?
    Baud?
    What kind of STAMP?
    Source code?
    PSC Jumper is set to 0-15 or 16-32?
    Does the old PSC still work?
    Have you tried connection to a PC and issuing a version command using PCSI?
  • nishimunishimu Posts: 2
    edited 2011-02-17 14:59
    Yes, tried requesting version, but no response. So I'm certain the problem has to do with the communication.
    The program looks like this:
    ch VAR Byte
    pw VAR Word
    ra VAR Byte
    Sdat CON 15
    baud CON 396
    ra = 7
    ch = 11
    DO
    pw = 1100
    SEROUT Sdat, Baud+$8000,["!SC", ch, ra, pw.LOWBYTE, pw.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    PAUSE 1000
    pw = 300
    SEROUT Sdat, Baud+$8000,["!SC", ch, ra, pw.LOWBYTE, pw.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    PAUSE 1000
    LOOP
    END

I'm wondering if the green LED that flashes means that it's communicating, because the LED does.
    This is with a stamp 2 and with stamp2sx on BOE. The program and everything works fine with the older servo controller.
    Is the 28830 not compatible with the BOE serial protocol, even though it's advertised as so?
    (by the way, this is my first posting ever on any board, so pardon my inexperience. I just want to get this to work.)
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-02-18 04:52
    The code you posted is for the BS2, for the SX use baud COM 1021. Try the version command and make sure that you have the port range set to 0-15.

The code can be found in the PSCU manual.
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/28830-PropServoControllerUSB-v1.0.pdf

If that does not work, then you'll need to phone tech support.