Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Taste Sensor for the Propeller Chip — Parallax Forums

Taste Sensor for the Propeller Chip

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2011-04-22 06:19 in Accessories
I'm looking for a hobby taste sensor for the Propeller chip. Detected tastes can include sour, bitter, sweet and salt.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-02-17 13:20
    Some unheralded combination of pH, salinity, conductivity, etc gauges, all working in unison?
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-02-18 00:23
    erco wrote: »
    Some unheralded combination of pH, salinity, conductivity, etc gauges, all working in unison?
    Erco, I was thinking along similar lines - this may be a DIY project to build a taste sensor. Hope I can remember some chemistry. Does my robot need a litmus paper tongue??? It is pink or is it blue???
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-02-18 01:19
    What sort of foods do you want it to taste? It will need something like saliva, unless you provide it with a liquid diet.
    edited 2011-02-18 09:36
    Leon wrote: »
    What sort of foods do you want it to taste? It will need something like saliva, unless you provide it with a liquid diet.
    Leon, yes, the robot tongue will need a liquid solution that it could carry as a kind of conductive and sensing saliva hidden in plastic jar with a dispensing tube, to dispense it on demand, along a "detector tongue."

A small amount at a time could be dispensed on an artificial tongue and then auto-washed after the detection cycle in completed. The solution could have some viscosity so it would not drool.

The major taste groups are sour, sweet, salty, and bitter. It would detect salty substances (chips, ham, bacon, salty fish, Soya sauce, salad dressing), things like pieces of fruit that are either tangy/tart/sour like citrus (Rhubarb, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit) or bitter (Brazil nuts or Filberts, vinegar, beer, bitter melon and bitter gourd (Asian)).

Sweet could include sugar, candy, honey, syrup, banana, ripe strawberry, chocolate frosting on cake, apple or cherry pie, soda pop). For now, it could stick to sampling liquids or food surfaces that are wet.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-02-18 19:25
    I posted a while ago about some fairly cheap & amazing sensors I stumbled across, but I can't find it now. Not enamoured with the Forum Search tool right now.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-02-18 21:20
    You might want to look along the lines of these "Dogs on a chip" and so forth. People have been melding biological receptors to silicon and are making progress, or so I hear. However, I'm not sure it's a Do It Yourself technology just yet.

http://www.physorg.com/news203771636.html
    edited 2011-02-19 03:26
    A team at Warwick University has developed smell sensors and a company has been spun off to exploit the technology. Taste, apart from the very basic sweet, salty, etc, largely depends on smell, of course.
    edited 2011-02-19 06:46
    erco wrote: »
    I posted a while ago about some fairly cheap & amazing sensors I stumbled across, but I can't find it now. Not enamoured with the Forum Search tool right now.
    Erco, what was the name of your thread? It is easily found with the instructions posted in the Penguin sticky thread.
    edited 2011-02-19 06:49
    You might want to look along the lines of these "Dogs on a chip" and so forth. People have been melding biological receptors to silicon and are making progress, or so I hear. However, I'm not sure it's a Do It Yourself technology just yet.
    http://www.physorg.com/news203771636.html
    ElectricAye, that's definitely new and remarkable nano technology and it could take some development time to filter down.

The scientists built their sensor using the principle of a nanoscale field-effect transistor. In contrast to a current-controlled classical transistor, a field-effect transistor is switched by means of an electric field. At the core of the device are nanowires made of the semiconductor silicon. These were coated with a molecular layer made from special silicon compounds that contains amino groups (NH2). TNT molecules bind to these amino groups in the form of charge-transfer complexes. The binding process involves the transfer of electrons from the electron-rich amino groups to the electron-poor TNT. This change in the charge distribution on the surface of the nanowires modulates the electric field and leads to an abrupt change in the conductivity of the nanowires, which is easily measured. To improve the signal-to-noise ratio and thus increase the sensitivity, the scientists equipped their chip with an array of about 200 individual sensors. “We are thus able to analyze liquid and gaseous samples without prior concentration or other sample preparation at previously unattainable sensitivities,” says Patolsky. “We were able to analyze concentrations down to 0.1 ppt (parts per trillion); that is, one molecule of TNT in 10 quadrillion other molecules.” The sensor can be quickly regenerated by washing and is selective for TNT; other related molecules do not react the same way.
    edited 2011-02-19 06:59
    Leon wrote: »
    A team at Warwick University has developed smell sensors and a company has been spun off to exploit the technology. Taste, apart from the very basic sweet, salty, etc, largely depends on smell, of course.
    Leon, good find, this is also technology that needs to filter down:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Electronic+noses+indicate+when+a+fruit+is+ripe.-a059174441
    Researchers also are conducting experiments using a prototype hand-held nose developed by Cyrano Sciences Inc. (73 N Vinedo Ave., Pasadena, CA 91107), the production version of which may be available later this year, we're told. At Warwick, research has been carried out on the use of thin- and thick-film semiconducting materials for odor odor (o´der) a volatile emanation perceived by the sense of smell. Research is centered upon the use of arrays of metal oxide and conducting polymer odor sensors. The latter are of interest because their molecular structure can be engineered for a specific odor-sensing application. A number of electronic noses have been developed by the group. There are several laboratory-based instruments, one employing an array of 12 metal oxide sensors, and another employing an array of 24 conducting polymer sensors. The conducting polymer instrument is fully automated with three separate flow-injection lines and three vessels for odor samples. Several portable instruments also have been built, including a four-element tin oxide tin oxide (SnO), a polishing agent in the form of a purified white powder, prepared as a paste with glycerine or water. device, a six-element tin oxide electronic nose and four 12-element polymer electronic noses. Warwick scientists are open to collaborating with industry on the development of new odor sensors, materials and algorithms. The University of Warwick also will license some of the technology.

They have also developed Electronic Snot
    http://thefutureofthings.com/pod/224/new-electronic-snot-developed.html
    Researchers at The Universities of Warwick and Leicester developed an improved artificial nose using a mix of polymers that mimics the action of the mucus in the natural nose allowing them to pick out a more diverse range of smells.
    edited 2011-02-19 07:13
    You are more up to date with that stuff than I am. It must be over a year since I checked their activities.

Electronic snot. Whatever next!.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2011-02-19 08:24
    I agree with ElectricAye. I don't think it's DIY yet. You want to detect the presence, combination and proportions of specific molecules. Spectrum analysis is used to analyze the chemical properties of matter. I personally think it would be easier to get a robot to "see" a spoon.
    edited 2011-02-20 12:03
    lardom wrote: »
    I agree with ElectricAye. I don't think it's DIY yet. You want to detect the presence, combination and proportions of specific molecules. Spectrum analysis is used to analyze the chemical properties of matter. I personally think it would be easier to get a robot to "see" a spoon.
    Lardom,now we would need a DIY spectrum analyzer. Shine a light on the substance in the spoon and spectrum analyze the reflected light. Compensate for the light source (make in monochromatic) and somehow come up with a pattern match for the element salt. Usually astronomers photograph the color spectra of a star and measure the spectral lines to detect elements. But I don't know about sugar (complex molecule), bitter and sour (more complicated).
    edited 2011-03-01 22:28
    I've narrowed the project requirements to tasting only one thing, like salt for example, mainly because I want to achieve an electrical detector tongue. I do have one idea to mix the salt with a tiny amount of machine saliva, apply a piece of litmus paper, and read the color with the Parallax color sensor. Any comments?

One problem with this is the tongue is a disposable one use only thing, unless the litmus comes in a large spool that can be dispensed in a small piece at a time for each taste, and then discarded.
    edited 2011-03-02 06:07
    How would your litmus sensor tell the difference between salt and, say, baking soda?

One possible DIY approach might be to modify a microbe that will light up when it encounters your specific conditions, so your machine saliva could contain this sort of microbe. For example, people have made very sensitive sensors using Vibrio fischeri, which is bioluminescent. Genes from V. fischeri have been removed and are insertable into E. coli.

http://www.carolina.com/product/glow+in+the+dark+transformation+kit.do?keyword=glow+in+dark&sortby=bestMatches

Another approach might be to use GFP, green fluorescent protein, which is also a possible DIY project.

http://www.carolina.com/product/green+gene+colony+transformation+kit+student+teach.do?keyword=gfp&sortby=bestMatches

With GFP inside a microbe you can set things up to sense a specific chemical, and when you flash it with blue light, it emits a specific wavelength that gives you your indication.

While smelling/tasting to us animals is a no-brainer, it's really a very complicated sensory system that uses a myriad of molecular receptors. Trying to build such a thing from scratch would be a daunting task, but hijacking a preexisting biological system might be somewhat doable if you take the time to learn.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-03-24 17:09
    As the senses of taste and smell are related, this article may
    prove informative --
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12827893
    edited 2011-03-24 19:42
    Humanoido wrote: »
    I'm looking for a hobby taste tester for the Propeller chip. Detected tastes can include sour, bitter, sweet and salt.

Okay, I just tasted it. The Propeller Chip tastes a little sour.

Either that, or I didn't get all the flux off of it.
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2011-03-30 07:49
    Okay, I just tasted it. The Propeller Chip tastes a little sour.

Either that, or I didn't get all the flux off of it.

Doesn't sound like a very fun hobby!
  • Jorge PJorge P Posts: 385
    edited 2011-04-22 06:19
    I am trying to find the video, but someplace on youtube a guy mad a DIY Spectrum Analyser out of a surgicaly removed photon gun from an old monochrome osciliscope, he used the phosphor from the display area to view and focus the analizer on a locknut washer. I can't seem to find the link now. His project was not complete but it was successfully working. He went through step by step how to do it and what is needed. The device was about 2 to 3 foot tall metal tube that was required for proper focusing he said.

Edit, my bad, it was a scanning electron microscope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG7G3LN_SN8