Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how to interface xbee received data into windows — Parallax Forums

how to interface xbee received data into windows

jruthroffjruthroff Posts: 38
edited 2011-02-15 09:40 in Accessories
I've bult and tested a wireless thermometer which i can monitor using the X-CTU. Works great, but I'd like a more elegant way to display the temp/humidity from the wireless thermometer on my Windows XP machine (perferably as an app running in the taskbar)...something that will just show the temp in a fashion similar to how Windows shows the time in the taskbar. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but I'm clueless as to how to approach this part of my project.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

John

Comments

• icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2011-02-14 12:46
    Depends on your preferred programing language, if you don't mind using .net ms has some versions you can try.
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/
    -dan
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2011-02-15 05:07
    While it won't be in the notification area of the task bar, using StampPlot Pro you can plot the data and have the window title show the data so when minimized you can see it.

To plot your data, assuming your variables are called Temp & Hum:
    DEBUG DEC Temp, ",", DEC Hum, CR

To label your title bar:
    DEBUG "!TITL ", DEC Temp, " F & ", DEC Hum, " %", CR

With StampPlot, select a plot style, use the configuration window to choose your COM Port, then enable connect & plot and you'd be good to go.

http://www.stampplot.com

-Martin
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2011-02-15 05:08
    Just noted you are using XBee, so instead of DEBUG, use SEROUT instead, etc, but same structure.
    -MH
  • jruthroffjruthroff Posts: 38
    edited 2011-02-15 09:40
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Stamp Plot Pro idea as it gives the desired results without a ton of coding.

I appreciate the comments, thanks.

John