Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Datalogger and Basic stamp — Parallax Forums

Datalogger and Basic stamp

hawkeye11hawkeye11 Posts: 1
edited 2011-02-13 22:29 in BASIC Stamp
I found a few similar posts, but none that really answered my question: I'm prototyping a portable ECG machine, which will ultimately store data on a USB drive using the DataLogger and the BS2. I'm sampling at 150 Hz for either 15 to 30 sec. All the data is stored on a separate SRAM chip and then transferred to datalogger after the sampling is over. The problem I'm running into is the very slow transfer to the thumb drive (~7 to 8 Hz), which obviously becomes an issue when writing 4500 values.

I'm fairly new to embedded systems so I've just been using the datalogger demo code on the parallax website. Is there any way to improve the transfer speed? Would using the device in SPI mode instead of UART be faster?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-13 22:29
    Yes, SPI mode would probably be faster. You might want to consider using a Propeller instead of a BS2. If you can use a PC-compatible SD card instead of a USB drive, that might simplify and speed up things even more. The Propeller should be able to buffer the values internally and start writing them to the SD card as they come in rather than requiring an external SRAM.