Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Data-only no-committment GSM/GPRS data plan - how much interest? — Parallax Forums

Data-only no-committment GSM/GPRS data plan - how much interest?

bill-phxbill-phx Posts: 11
edited 2011-02-24 00:43 in Accessories
Hello

I may be in the position soon to be able to resell GSM/GPRS data airtime (I am purchasing wholesale.)

Since this will be for my business (and personal tinkering), it wouldn't really be a source of income if I were to offer it to hobbyists. Basically, I would take my cost and add a small percentage to cover overhead and (limited) support. Most of the interface would be web-based (order a SIM, enter billing info, look at SIM usage, etc.) with email support for issues.

Questions are:

1) How many people would be interested in this?

2) My original thought is to offer it as a "pre-paid" service, so that you have to buy a "chunk" of kilobytes/megabytes in advance, and when your data runs out either you cannot pass anymore data, or as an option, it would re-bill you for another "chunk" and send you an email. (This way I don't get stuck with someone running up my bill and then not paying me.)

3) What is reasonable pricing for hobbyist/low-usage? (Per MB) I imagine that most people would use it for data collection or remote control of something, so usage should be low...

4) I would have to provide the SIM cards, they cost me $25 each. So no discounts there. But I figure that anyone buying GSM/GPRS hardware could afford the SIM card anyway.

5) Would anyone be interested in a commercial version of this? (A little more expensive, real support, data pooling / sharing plan for multiple SIM cards on an account, etc)

bill

Comments

• kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2011-02-12 06:36
    Just curious, what network would this be on? i think that this may be a great idea if the end users are close to the networks towers. i think it's a great idea for those who want to do remote telemetry if the price is right.
  • rupertpackerrupertpacker Posts: 5
    edited 2011-02-13 00:45
    i need 20 sim cards, ideally each would turn around 400mb a month but possibly less if price prohibitive. currently trialing TPG on a $1/month PAYG rate, not very happy since each transmission counts as 100k minimum, so would be very happy to hear other plans available sure.
    btw, sims cost me $20 but i dont mind paying $25 :)
  • bill-phxbill-phx Posts: 11
    edited 2011-02-13 15:56
    This would be a north-america based carrier, not sure about international ability/rates.

TPG is AU, right?

bill
  • rupertpackerrupertpacker Posts: 5
    edited 2011-02-13 16:27
    My bad, late night didn't realize. thanks anyway!
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-02-13 19:59
    I'd be interested for remote telemetry projects.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-02-23 19:22
    Any more info about this?
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-02-24 00:43
    I'd would be interested for my remote monitoring system for a ship that I am restoring and our ship is over 200 miles from my home. This system will be monitoring the Fire Alarm system, Bilge Alarm system and other ship board systems.

I can afford the cost of the Sim card, which is no big deal. Here my concerns and they are
    1) The service areas. What cites will be covered?
    2) The provider you planning to use?

My monitoring system needs to be running 24/7 and needs to be reliable

To answer one of your questions. I will be willing to pay 5 cents per megabyte or a $30 flat rate for 500 megabytes and above.