Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C for scribbler 2? — Parallax Forums

C for scribbler 2?

pnob32pnob32 Posts: 2
edited 2011-03-25 14:28 in Robotics
Hey all,
I was hoping someone could help me with downloading a C compiler for the scribbler 2 robot...
I was also wondering how doable this is with linux, as I know the direct parallax software is only compatible with windows.

thanks
P Noble

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-11 10:13
    Catalina is the main C compiler for the Propeller which is the microcontroller used in the S2. There is another one sold by ImageCraft. Catalina is packaged for use with Windows and with Linux. I suggest you search the Propeller forum for threads having to do with Catalina and read through them. Also check out the SourceForge webpage for Catalina here. I don't believe there is any kind of "special" Scribbler 2 version, but it should be easy enough to use Catalina with the S2.
  • pnob32pnob32 Posts: 2
    edited 2011-02-11 10:16
    Hey thanks for the quick help!
    I'll reply again if I need some more, which I wouldn't doubt, still a nooby in linux
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-02-11 11:48
    Let us know what happens.
  • BenWirzBenWirz Posts: 63
    edited 2011-03-02 08:10
    If you haven't considered it, I'd suggest you take a look at the spin syntax. I was a die hard C programmer but I found it really easy to learn spin. It'ss close enough to C that I think you will find the transition pretty easy. One thing that I'm sure about is that the time required to port the S2 object to C is significantly longer than the time for you to learn spin. Just something to consider. -Ben
  • levrek1levrek1 Posts: 6
    edited 2011-03-25 13:03
    I have heard a rumor that Parallax will soon offer C for the S2...i.e. not just a C compiler for the chip, but S2-specific library[ies], e.g. with calls to work the motors, sensors, etc (not just pins). I guess this would be the same as translating the S2 object (spin) to C. Is this true? And if it is, when might it be available?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-03-25 13:07
    I wrote the S2 object. If what you say is true, it would be news to me.

-Phil
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2011-03-25 14:28
    Parallax stated almost a year ago that they would develop a C-to-Spin translator. It would produce Spin code that would be compatible with the existing Spin objects. However, this was pretty low on their priority list.