Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

USB to Basic Stamp

jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
edited 2011-02-10 19:39 in Accessories
Is there any way to have a USB 2.0 port plug into a basic stamp. The usb port will be connected to a r/c controlled airsoft gun. Here is the link of what I am planning.

http://inventgeek.com/Projects/usbairsoftturret/overview.aspx

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-09 20:09
    It depends on what the USB port does. If the airsoft gun is designed as a USB client (peripheral), then you'd need to use something like the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger with the Stamp which, in addition to working with "USB thumb drives", can also act as a USB host for other USB clients like a mouse or keyboard. If the airsoft gun requires a USB 2.0 port because of the power drain, that won't work. The Datalogger provides a USB 1.1 host as far as I understand and USB 2.0 provides much more power than a USB 1.1 host allows. You would have to get a lot of detailed information about how the airgun looks to the USB host in terms of internal registers. The Datalogger doesn't have built-in drivers for anything other than "thumb drives" and simple printing. It does allow low level access to internal registers in the USB client which is how a mouse or keyboard is handled.
  • jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
    edited 2011-02-10 17:42
    Here is a Youtube video of something similar I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/user/rudfel#p/u/11/HAyqy7Kuzb4 if you could explain any of this it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-10 19:39
    "if you could explain any of this it would be greatly appreciated"

I'd be happy to answer specific questions or to explain or more likely point you to existing explanations of specific topics. Forums are generally not passive conduits. You need to do some thinking first and maybe some investigating. How about describing what you want? How about looking through Parallax's sensors, looking at their documentation, and thinking about what makes sense for your image of what your robot might do, then telling us and asking whether that makes sense? Parallax does sell a PIR sensor and other distance sensors. Have you looked at those? Do you have any idea of how the missile launcher works and what triggers it? What can you find out?