Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SPI interface wants 40-60% clock duty cycle — Parallax Forums

SPI interface wants 40-60% clock duty cycle

retaskerretasker Posts: 4
edited 2011-02-12 09:34 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to interface a BS2 to a MAX1030 16 channel ADC. I am not sure at this point that it does not work, but the datasheet says that it requires a 40-60% clock duty cycle. The SHIFTOUT command does not result in a duty cycle within this range (more like 25%).

I need to send data to the ADC to set it up and to start a conversion cycle. I will certainly see if it will work even though the clock duty cycle is out of spec for their requirements, but...

Is there any way to generate the data and clock streams where the clock is within the required range of duty cycle?

Dick Tasker

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-02-08 20:33
    Because the datasheet specifies a minimum clock period, rather than minimum clock highs and lows, my guess is that the 40-60% duty cycle range applies only at maximum clock speeds, not for the slower rates at which the BS2 will be clocking data. The datasheet doesn't say so explicitly, but that's my take on the spec.

-Phil
  • retaskerretasker Posts: 4
    edited 2011-02-08 20:49
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but you may very well be right as this is supposed to work up to 4.8MHz for conversion and up to 10MHz for data I/O. I will continue tomorrow evening and see what happens. Thanks for the comment.

Dick Tasker
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2011-02-12 09:34
    When you get a working code can you please post it I would like to get an Idea how to use this chip my self

Thanks