Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In search for GPS tracking chip + accelerometer chip + heart rate chip. — Parallax Forums

In search for GPS tracking chip + accelerometer chip + heart rate chip.

protjorprotjor Posts: 4
edited 2011-02-12 11:33 in Accessories
Dear members,

As i mentioned in the title i'm in search for a combination of gps tracking chip, an accelerometer chip and heart rate chip.

I'm want to test some issues about real time data in the sportindustry.

Anyone can help me out to develop a system in putting forward individual athletes?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-02-08 13:13
    You don't measure heart rate with a chip, The usual technique is two ECG electrodes on the chest connected to an amplifier. The amplified signal is conditioned by another stage and processsed by an MCU. The same MCU can be used to get the accelerometer and GPS data, and log the data on a suitable storage medium with a time stamp. As everything will presumably be battery-powered, a very low-power MCU such as an MSP430 or XLP PIC would be advisable.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2011-02-08 13:31
    Sparkfun sells a sensor that will receive heartrate data from a Polar heart sensor.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8661
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2011-02-08 13:41
    The Texas Instruments ez430 Chronos wristwatch development kit has an accessory heart rate strap, and the accelerometer is built in. You'd need to add a GPS, but guidelines for doing so are probably out there somewhere.

The ANT protocol is popular in sports medicine devices, personal area wireless networks. I see that ANT+ device profiles include both "heart rate monitor" and "multisport speed and distance (GPS)". Albeit, the cost of entry as a developer is high.
  • protjorprotjor Posts: 4
    edited 2011-02-09 11:14
    Thanks alot for the answers.

I'm totally new in this field so don't shoot.

I will explain what i want to achieve.

Position, distance and speed data
    Accelerometer - Track impacts, accelerations and decelerations
    Heart rate (Polar Compatible) - receives both coded and uncoded signals
    Wireless Communication - View athlete information live

It would be nice If you guys could point me out in the good direction.
    I want to attach these components into one device and that's the tricky part.

Thanks in advance
    edited 2011-02-09 11:22
    You obviously don't have enough experience for this sort of project. You ought to consider paying someone to do the work for you.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-02-09 15:15
    I think you're supposed to extol the manifold virtues of the Propeller at this juncture.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-02-10 05:25
    Probably you can have a lot of stuff ready made for the propeller.
    In the object exchance you'll find stuff to get GPS data, read an accelerometer (you can also use the nintendo WII nunchuck ..). If you read Polar data with something similar to the sparkfun's product you must simply glue things and send it..
    Xbee is a good option and it is available of the obex.
    Massimo
  • protjorprotjor Posts: 4
    edited 2011-02-12 11:23
    Leon wrote: »
    You obviously don't have enough experience for this sort of project. You ought to consider paying someone to do the work for you.

Do you know somebody who's willing to do that?

Tnx
    edited 2011-02-12 11:33
    I have designed that sort of thing in the past so I might be interested! :)