Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2: So easy my 11 year old is doing it! — Parallax Forums

S2: So easy my 11 year old is doing it!

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2011-02-07 15:28 in Robotics
So Ken made sure that I had access to the S2 so that I can write about it in an upcoming article.

One of the first things I was present one of them to my 11 year old daughter.
Understand that despite what you may think, she isn't into soldering (yet) and doesn't have a degree in Spin programming. (yet) -- As a matter of fact, the S2 will be her first experience with robotics.

The first few days I only turned her onto the S2 itself and the little glossy that is in the box.
I've also tried to limit how much I did, preferring that she "show me" how to make it work.

A few days later I gave her the cable and programmer and installed the GUI into her computer.
With very minimal instruction she is able to understand how to create a program. Starting with making music, pausing, and making the robot move. She isn't totally onto how the sensors work,
but had no problem figuring out how coin-flip decisions work.

Whatever age Parallax has on the box is undoubtedly too old I'm sure.. :)

OBC

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-02-07 15:28
    Glad she is enjoying the S2 OBC! As far as the sensors, show her the Sensor Observation Deck. Seeing the direct feed back when she covers one of the light sensors or puts her hand in front of the IR Obstacle detectors will help here catch on.

Also on the First Programs pdf (Scribbler - not yet for S2) there are some great starter programs. See Song on page 16 is really cool for learning about sensors and observing them to direct the program in a particular way. See http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/robo/scribbler/SGPG-FirstPrograms-v1.0.pdf