Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying To Pick The Right Temperature Sensor...And Learn How To Hook It Up... — Parallax Forums

Trying To Pick The Right Temperature Sensor...And Learn How To Hook It Up...

Im New To MicroIm New To Micro Posts: 42
edited 2011-02-04 07:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone,

For a project at school, we need to build a temperature circuit that will monitor the temperature of some batteries and other things that we need to attach the sensor to.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this sensor from parallax, LM34 Temperature Sensor, is a sensor that allows you to place the sensor "on" objects to get a reading, or is it a sensor that isn't meant for that? Basically, we are trying to use a sensor so we can detect overheating and etc, so it doesn't need to worry about the "air temp", but temp of the object it's laying flat up against.

Lastly, do they include a manual on how to hook this up using the Board of Education (Basic Stamp 2), and some example code, as I didn't see on on the page?

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/87/Default.aspx?txtSearch=temp+sensor

Thanks, hope someone can help!

:)

Comments

• MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2011-02-03 00:04
    Take a look at the discussion here!

Also look at this page, from Scott Edwards!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2011-02-03 09:46
    The LM34 comes in a standard TO92 package, and for an object like a battery it should work fine in direct contact. Use epoxy or a heat sink compound to enhance the surface to surface contact, and put a little wool around it on the outside to insulate from ambient. Use fine wire (like #30 say) to make the connections to the LM34, and run those wires along the surface of the battery instead of bringing them right out into ambient. A major heat flow is along the wires.

If you want to go smaller, your main options are thermistors or thermocouples. Those can be made really tiny, but are harder to use in a circuit.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-02-04 04:53
    For connection to a microcontroller, I would recommend getting a digital temperature sensor.
    I like the DS18B20, but it is a 1-wire device and may not be supported by the basic stamps. I'm pretty sure there is an I2C version though.

Bean
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-02-04 07:37
    Here is the datasheet that Bean is talking about and it is a 1-wire device.
    www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/D/S/1/8/DS18B20.shtml
    If, you are starting out, I would go with the one that Moskog suggested. It is alot easier to do.