Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help needed on operating STAMP HomeWork Board — Parallax Forums

help needed on operating STAMP HomeWork Board

WiekingWieking Posts: 3
edited 2011-01-29 21:19 in BASIC Stamp
I have a STAMP HomeWork Board/serial connection.
I have a swift, new PC/ Windows 7/USB port.
I have downloaded/installed the latest 2.5 Editor and then the USB drivers from Kevin.
Am using the serial/USB adaptor with cable
I have observed disconnecting the Board from computer when installing.
Battery shows 9.2 volts undere load
I simply cannot get the Stamp to show up in the Identification box when I run the RUN/Identify process.

Has there anyone out there who has ACTUALLY used the USB/serial adaptor rigamarole to operate a serial Board with USB port?
I'm too old to be snafu'd by something like this! Some of my computer friends say, "ya can never get the USB/serial adaptors to operate right"
HELP! I wanna play!
Bob:frown:

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-29 21:05
    Which USB/serial adapter? Parallax's? Are you using the latest FTDI USB drivers?

I've used Parallax's USB/serial adapter with a serial Board (Board of Education) many times under Windows XP, but there's not reason why you can't use the same steps with Windows 7 and the Homework Board isn't significantly different from the Board of Education.

Consider calling Parallax Tech Support on Monday. Sometimes having someone on the phone lead you through the same steps as someone on the forums works better.
  • WiekingWieking Posts: 3
    edited 2011-01-29 21:19
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Which USB/serial adapter? Parallax's? Are you using the latest FTDI USB drivers?

I've used Parallax's USB/serial adapter with a serial Board (Board of Education) many times under Windows XP, but there's not reason why you can't use the same steps with Windows 7 and the Homework Board isn't significantly different from the Board of Education.

Consider calling Parallax Tech Support on Monday. Sometimes having someone on the phone lead you through the same steps as someone on the forums works better.
    Mike-I had just typed in my help request when I ran into your response to a query regarding 9v battery clips are "backward, or reverse polarity!!!!!. Sure enough, I had put in a switch , using a couple of battery clips--If you just follow "red/black polarity cues you are going to be connecting the battery to the Board BACKWARDS!!!!!

I traced the simple circuits polarity path to the Board and sure enough I was connecting the pos to neg and the neg to pos! My bad. As my Dad told me 50 years ago I should have had my "thinking cap" on.
    Thanks to you, Mike.
    I have a Board that is now working(I MAY not have fried anything....)
    Wieking