Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xbee Series 2 changing firmware — Parallax Forums

Xbee Series 2 changing firmware

DbasileccimDbasileccim Posts: 8
edited 2011-01-30 15:23 in Accessories
I am in process of configuring two xbee pro series 2 modules to coordinator and end or router. I am using serial_pass_through.spin to communicate with the modules through both my professional development board and gadget gangster Propeller platform usb. I can communicate with each module but they will not accept the change to their firmware (communication fails). I have read that I need to have DTR (and maybe CTS) signals available for the firmware upload.

My question is "Is there a way to access the firmware upload from either of the two propeller usb boards?" I assume the xbee needs to let the pc know it is ready to receive additional info (the firmware) and that is the reason the upload is failing.

I have an XBee USB Adapter Board on the way (it appears to support CTS and DTR) but was hoping to continue my project before it gets here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2011-01-30 06:41
    You need to have the XBee USB Adapter Board (or similiar from other companies - a direct PC connected board) to change the firmware with control of DTR. With the XBee ZB's (Series 2), you need to change the firmware as you plan to, to form the network.

I'm not saying there isn't someway to trick it with the hardware you have, such as possibly having your Propeller control the line in code, or maybe using the PropPlug's RX, TX, DTR output - I've not experimented with those concepts (though in Programming and Customizing the Propeller text I show how to use the PropPlug as a direct link for communications, but the PropPlug only cycles the line momentarily), Using the USB Aapter is the surest solution. I'd hate to see you "experiment" and cause a firmware failure of your XBee.

-Martin
  • DbasileccimDbasileccim Posts: 8
    edited 2011-01-30 15:23
    Thanks, that is what I thought, but I thought I would check with someone with more experience. Waiting for UPS.