SYMBOL x   = B1
SYMBOL CH0 = B2
CH0  = 65
FOR x = 0 TO 255
'PULSOUT 7,375
SEROUT 7, N2400, (CH0)
NEXT
END
And both the serial output statement and the currently commented out pulse out one seem to work as expected. But the one issue that surrounds it, is that when the USB to serial converter was told to send it to a debug terminal which was configured to the same settings as the output command did not show anything. (Then,) That is at first it did not cooperate as described. This device is also an FTDI FT232L chip on a break out board from Sparkfun, the #718 device, http://www.sparkfun.com/products/718
(The one shown is a revision of the one I am using, but technically it is supposed to be the same.)

Now it does work, and the debug terminal is working exactly as my PuTTY terminal screen did when set to the same settings.

At the moment folks there is no questions attached, it might even be solved. I'm just, ah, explaining what I've been doing for the past few days.

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-01-29 00:11
    Buck, nice BS1 code.

Thanks for sharing your project code. What is your final objective?

What did you do to make the code work?
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2011-01-29 10:49

Humanoido wrote: »
    Buck, nice BS1 code.

Hello!
    My final objective is to better understand the purpose behind the programming for the PAL16L8 device I am using. And to make the code work, it was simple determination, I kept selecting different code fragments from the documents for the BS1 and related devices and worked it out from there.

Eventually, last night or early this morning, everything just clicked as they say, it works as advertised.

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2011-01-29 16:12

Humanoido wrote: »
    Buck, nice BS1 code.

Hello!
    My final objective is to better understand the purpose behind the programming for the PAL16L8 device I am using. And to make the code work, it was simple determination, I kept selecting different code fragments from the documents for the BS1 and related devices and worked it out from there.

Eventually, last night or early this morning, everything just clicked as they say, it works as advertised.

More work today included activating that pulse out line and pointing towards P5. For that I kept the same speed, (or pulse timing) and routed it via an SN7437.

I've added a second serial out line who aims the counter into it. And course research today has confirmed my reasoning that the device was programmed with a particular state machine to do something, A definition is here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine in what else(?) hardware applications, it describes what is going on there.

Most people will ask the constant question, "Where is he going with this?", which is what you asked first. The answers are there.

This is the reason why I got involved with the basic stamp. To apply these devices to manage my logic designs, and save the computers from the stress of a problematic design.