Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do I wire a CO2 sensor and program it using a boe bot — Parallax Forums

How do I wire a CO2 sensor and program it using a boe bot

jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
edited 2011-02-03 07:10 in Accessories
This is for a project at my school. Its crunch time and I have no idea how to do it. Any help is appreciated. I am using a CO2 sensor module and I need to know how to wire it and I need a program. I am using a boe bot. Thanks. Pictures or any help would be great.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-01-25 21:20
    Here's the info on the parallax unit. It looks like it needs more power that the boebot is providing so you might need a bigger battery. Since it is a school project try to work out as much as you can yourself and ask your teacher for help too. Crunch time is too late to start a project you have no idea how to do, perhaps a less complicated project.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-26 09:57
    If you look at the documentation for the CO2 sensor, you'll see that there are 2 control lines, CNTL and ALM. You also need to supply power, something between 6.5V and 12V. The BoeBot normally has power (Vin) on the order of 6V, maybe less, so you'll need to either increase the BoeBot's supply voltage or provide some other source. Usually the BoeBot's servos are run off the Vin (battery) supply. You could add another AA cell to make a 5 cell battery pack with 7.5V output (with alkalines - rechargables would only supply 6V). Parallax sells a clip-on battery holder that would work. You can also wire in an single AA cell battery holder (RadioShack sells them) and glue this on the chassis over the ball.

CNTL and ALM get connected to Stamp I/O pins. CNTL is an output from the Stamp while ALM is an input to the Stamp. Remember, if you use a separate power supply for the sensor, any ground has to be in common with the Stamp's ground (Vss).

You turn on the heater by doing HIGH <pin> for the I/O pin for CNTL. You turn off the heater by doing LOW <pin>. You check whether the CO2 level is over the threshold by testing IN<pin> for the I/O pin for ALM. Read the sensor documentation for further information.

If you don't know how to program a Stamp, you'll have to go through the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial and the "Robotics for the BoeBot" tutorial. Both are downloadable from Parallax if you don't already have them. I think they're both supplied with the Stamp Editor in the help files.
  • jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
    edited 2011-02-03 07:10
    DSC03845.jpg

Thanks for your help the battery booster module should arrive at my house today so I will update you with the results I get. I will also post a video to my next thread.
    1024 x 768 - 73K