Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone struggling with "502 - Bad Gateway" errors? — Parallax Forums

Anyone struggling with "502 - Bad Gateway" errors?

agsags Posts: 386
edited 2011-01-25 13:17 in Accessories
So I'm having a blast. I'm now able to serve up a really simple HTML page with the Prop/Wiz combo. Nice!

IE8 seems most tolerant of the browsers. It hasn't complained yet. I then tried to load the page with an iPad from my LAN; that complained (correctly) and I found and fixed a syntax problem with the HTML page. Now both IE8 on my desktop and Safari on my iPad see the page correctly.

I then opened up my router/firewall/gateway to send web traffic (port 80) to the WizNet. Then I tried to view the page with my Android phone from "outside" my LAN. No luck: "502 - Bad Gateway".

Any clues about how to debug this? It could be an error the page I'm serving, or in the way that I've configured my network/firewall/router, or it wouldn't surprise me if my ISP has found someway to prevent me from serving up the whopping 150bytes of data from my LAN so I don't overload their network... though I've not been able to find any reports of this online.

From my debugging statements, with the "functioning" browsers (Safari/iPad and IE8/Windows Desktop) I see this sequence:

Socket Opened
Socket Listening
Socket Connected to Client
Message Received from Client.
Disconnecting from Client.
Socket Closed.

With the Android/external/failing browser, I see this sequence:

Socket Opened.
Socket Listening.
Disconnecting from Client.

Thanks! for any thoughts you might have on this one.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-01-25 00:00
    Can you divulge your IP address so that some of us may give it a try?

-Phil
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2011-01-25 03:55
    I hear the echoes of someone asking for a DynDNS client soon....
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-01-25 05:19
    Just set your spinneret port to something other than 80, like 5000. Your ISP probably blocks port 80 traffic. Or configure port forwarding on your router 5000 to 80.
  • agsags Posts: 386
    edited 2011-01-25 13:17
    @Timothy: Yup, you heard that right. Actually, Singapore is pretty far enough away. I had already done that before you wrote, but it probably took a while @768MPH for the sound to reach you. Add the difference in time zones, round-off error when changing currency, expansion of the universe and increasing entropy, and there you go...

@MikeG: Yup, tried that. Didn't work. I suspected AT&T right away...

However, this time (but not *every* time) my accusation was unjust. AT&T, my beloved ISP, ITV, LLvoice and mobile voice provider, was not culpable. It was my programming error. It happened when there was anything other than almost zero latency in the connection, because I wasn't handling intermediate states gracefully. Now that's all fixed, and my little WizPropeller can serve pages to an iPad, laptop, LAN-local desktop, LAN-remote desktop, and Android phone.

BTW, AT&T cellular coverage still is the worst on the planet...

Thanks!