Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing CO gas sensor with Arduino — Parallax Forums

Interfacing CO gas sensor with Arduino

BlazeBlaze Posts: 3
edited 2011-02-14 11:35 in Accessories
I want to interface the CO gas sensor module (#27931) with an Arduino Uno microcontroller. The datasheet states that a microcontroller is needed for the HSW input, and a microcontroller is needed for the ALR output; does this mean I need two microcontrollers?

This is my first time building something from scratch. Does anyone now know if I can interface this module with the Arduino Uno?
Someone please help me!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-01-23 16:59
    You can use two pins of the same micro.
  • BlazeBlaze Posts: 3
    edited 2011-02-07 23:13
    Thank you for answering my question, Franklin.

I have another question regarding the same topic; would it be best to connect the co module (the HSW and ALR) to the tx and rx of the Arduino?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-02-08 08:27
    You could use RX and TX, but then you wouldn't have them available for serial I/O. It's best to use some other pair of digital I/O pins.
  • BlazeBlaze Posts: 3
    edited 2011-02-14 11:35
    Thanks Mike.

I have a few things that are troubling me:
    1. What would i use the serial I/O for?
    2. I want to interface the co module to an Arduino Uno, and the data sheet (of the co module) says to use a resistor and an npn transistor but i do not know where to make the connections (which pin should the resistor go to, E B C?) and which pin of the npn goes to the co module and the arduino? Does one of the EBC need to be grounded? If anyone can give me some advice or pointers, it would be much appreciated.