Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Contest entry. Spinneret fish tank minder. — Parallax Forums

Contest entry. Spinneret fish tank minder.

zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
edited 2011-02-03 05:22 in Accessories
Folks,

I've recently acquired a fish tank in my office and realized the Spinneret's potential. I also see it as a "quick" project that can be used to advertise the Spinneret in Completed Projects and maybe outside of the Parallax Web Portal (hack a day, instructables/etc) to get further awareness of the Spinneret and it's potential.

The plan is simple.
- Use the 4 I/O pins for;
- 2 servos to position and shake feeding can.
- RCtime and a PTC thermister to measure temperature, verifying the function of the heater.
- RCtime and a Photo-cell to measure reflected light from the water, which can be used to validate feeding operation, validate the light (on a mechanical timer), and potential to validate filter/bubler due to reflected light changes when not feeding (interesiting possibility to explore).
- Log temperature and light data to the SD-Card
- Use a schedular from RCTIME for once per day feeding.
- Use Spinneret to display the results on an Internet accessible web page.
- Use the USER switch to place it in local ADMIN mode to allow setting time and feeding parameters.

From looking at the examples so far, this may not be too difficult to achieve and likely a quick practical demonstration of the Spinneret, and could make a nice kit for Parallax ;-)

Any assistance will be documented in the final solution code.

Comments

• chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2011-02-03 05:22
    That sounds cool maybe i will not kill my fish if i had something like that.