Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions Before Buying — Parallax Forums

Questions Before Buying

runswithscissorsrunswithscissors Posts: 3
edited 2011-06-28 12:29 in Accessories
I am looking to use the propscope for automotive purposes 0 +15V and no more than 40KHz signal. My question is if I set the probes to 10x will it measure this without frying the scope.

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-01-23 09:31
    Do not take my word for it - hopefully Andy and/or Hanno will speak up, but I think you'll be fine. This from the quickstart guide:
    Warning
    Do not apply more than +200 or less than -200 VDC to the input of the
    PropScope, otherwise permanent damage may occur.

With the probes set to 10x you should have +/- 100Vpp.
  • kanekane Posts: 11
    edited 2011-01-27 19:44
    Since I am having problems getting the PropScope to work on Linux, it looks like
    I need to find an alternate solution to my problem. This low end scope looks pretty nice:

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

Pat
    ---
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2011-01-29 16:00
    I am looking to use the propscope for automotive purposes 0 +15V and no more than 40KHz signal. My question is if I set the probes to 10x will it measure this without frying the scope.

I use my propscope in 10x mode for diagnostics of waveforms for my x0xb0x. The peaks are around 15v.
    It has been absolutely necessary for the things I am trying to do to this x0xb0x.

The price of the prop scope was well worth the amount of work it has done for me.

(and if I kill it, i can repair it myself, with open schematics, code, etc, keep this in mind when purchasing another brand)
    edited 2011-01-29 19:58
    Yes, I agree, I really like my PropScope, having the HW schematics is very cool.
    I just wish the SW was as open and the HW.
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-01-29 23:00
    Anyone interested in open source firmware that does something simple? Ie, stream out ch1 and ch2 voltages at a 9600 baud? You could hardcode ac/dc coupling and voltage resolution to keep things simple...
    Hanno
    edited 2011-02-02 19:39
    Hanno wrote: »
    Anyone interested in open source firmware that does something simple? Ie, stream out ch1 and ch2 voltages at a 9600 baud? You could hardcode ac/dc coupling and voltage resolution to keep things simple...
    Hanno

Yes, I want a very simple interface.

I would love to connect to the PropScope from various mobile devices,
    like my EeePc and my Android phone. The later would be very cool.

I'd like to help replace/extend the USB interface with a BlueTooth device,
    but that might take a rev of the PS HW.

A wireless PropScope would be hot, esp. if it was mobile.

Pat
    ---
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2011-02-02 22:28
    kane wrote: »

A wireless PropScope would be hot, esp. if it was mobile.

Pat
    ---

Slap a LIPO battery on the back of it and you have a wireless, FULLY isolated oscilloscope!!!!!!
    (no usb ground loop)
    LIPO:http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=328
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-02-03 16:45
    Have a look at the extension port of the PropScope. Should be straightforward to run it of a battery and send the data to a bluetooth/wifi/xbee module. Please list what features you want in a simple firmeware demo...
    Hanno
    edited 2011-02-04 17:20
    > Hanno said:
    > Please list what features you want in a simple firmeware ...

[ I think we should start a new thread for this topic -- PEK]

If I could make a tiny bit of progress with my current PropScope on Linux
    (like getting it to talk to me) I would be happy to give you that list.
    I am willing to update the spec.

Anyway, I hope I do not sound too negative, you guys have made
    a very nice device.

Pat
    ---
    P.S. the reason I like BT is that I was one of Motorola's reps
    to the BT consortium years ago.
    edited 2011-02-04 17:31
    Clock Loop wrote: »
    Slap a LIPO battery on the back of it and you have a wireless, FULLY isolated oscilloscope!!!!!!
    (no usb ground loop)
    LIPO:http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=328

Cool, yeah we would need a good portable power pack. I really want to cut the USB teather.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2011-06-24 06:57
    Hanno wrote: »
    Hanno

Rather than do that, could you please spend some time actually completing the protocol documentation that was promised prior to the release of the product?

Hell, I have some code that samples both channels at 25Mhz and takes 6000 samples, but it triggers a bug in the hardware... yours obviously works, but the "documentation" is an insult.
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2011-06-28 12:29
    Brad,
    What is the hardware bug you are seeing?

Thank you,
    David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.