Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mr Billy — Parallax Forums

Mr Billy

stechmanstechman Posts: 11
edited 2011-02-10 00:50 in BASIC Stamp
My Project

I want to read a microchip from live stock (ear tag) and weigh the animal with an electronic scale that has a seriel port output at the same time and store the 2 readings in a datalogger I must be able to read up to 5000 animals. from the memory stick I must be able to update my data base of my stock progam.

My study :

I bought a Basic stamp 2 , development board, 125 khz RFID reader, datalogger and seriel LCD display.
I connected lcd on pin 10 rfid on pin 1 and 0 and I tried to program. I can read the Tag number on the basic stam software but I failed to program so that the code displays on the lcd display and stores in the datalogger . I tried to get ideas from the 2sx program but the programing is different .

I need help to save time

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-23 07:56
    To get useful help, you have to supply more information. First of all, which development board and serial LCD do you have? There are several. Second, you need to provide either a schematic showing how you've connected things ... all connections including power. Lastly, you need to post your program. Best way is to use the Reply button, then the Attachment button (paperclip) to attach your file to your message.

Do you have a link to the scale's manual?

General advice:

Get the example programs for each of your devices and make sure each of them work. They're usually posted as links on the product webpage for each device.

It's much more useful to describe what happened, not just that your program didn't work.

Get the LCD working first. You can use that for debugging information along with the Stamp Editor's debug window.
  • stechmanstechman Posts: 11
    edited 2011-01-23 10:52
    Thank you Mike for your interest and help I bought a super carrier board 27130 , lcd 27977 micro controler Bs2 original The electronic shop sold me a GPS data logger kit . I used the bs2 program and tested all modules like lcd it works fine giving me " Basic Stamp is Cool " the RFID reading me The Tag number and The Data logger writes data into my memory stic . The link for the scale is: http://scaletronics.co.za/NEW%20PDFs/Merav%202000%20indicator%20series.pdf . I try to forward you the scales manual from my office. When I scan the tag it read then tag number on my monitor of PC and I get garbel 1 digit on the lcd display it looks like that the digits are not moving from left to Right. I copied from File...... RFID_Security.SXB RA.0 ----> Parallax Serial LCD' RA.1 ----> RFID Enable' RA.2 <---- RFID Sout' RA.3 ----> Latch control (LED for demo)' Components:' Parallax RFID Reader... #2814' Parallax Serial LCD.... #27976 or #27977 . I would like to forward my program if you allowed to forward your email mine is stechman@mweb.co.za then you might see what mistake I made Thank you
    Billy
    edited 2011-01-23 11:07
    You need to post your program as an attachment to a message. Use the Reply button (rather than "+ Reply to Thread") and use the Attachment icon (a paperclip) to attach your program file to your message so others can download and look at it.

If you have a scanner, perhaps you could scan the pages of the scales manual that deal with the format of the data and discusses how the scale decides to send the data. Remember that the scale uses RS232 voltages for the data and you need to have a resistor in the line from the scale to the Stamp's I/O pin to prevent the voltage from damaging the Stamp. Look in the Stamp Manual or the Stamp Editor's help files under the SEROUT statement for a discussion of this and a suggested hookup.
    edited 2011-01-24 08:09
    attached the file wit my program
    edited 2011-01-24 08:55
    thanks for tip find more info about stamp on manual will use 22k ohm resitor on rs232 output to stamp
    edited 2011-01-24 09:08
    In the section after Main, your program is reading the tag bytes into a byte array called "buf" like this:

SERIN RX, T2400, [WAIT($0A), STR buf\10]

In the section Display_Tag, your program should properly be displaying the characters that were just read from the tag.

The last section, Animation, I have no idea what you are doing. It's all wrong. I suggest you throw all that out and start again, first by stating clearly what you want to accomplish in that part of the program. At that point in the program, the tag information is in buf, which is an array of 10 bytes.

Since the display holds two lines of 16 characters each, perhaps you should start simply by displaying the tag value on a single line with nothing else on that line, maybe with a title on the other display line.

Make sure to read the display documentation, particularly the table that describes what the various control characters do.
    edited 2011-01-24 10:39
    Thank you for your help let me top up my knowledge and try to get better
    bill
    edited 2011-01-25 10:14
    Thanks I can display the tag on lcd now . the next step is now to also store the tag in memory stick.
    edited 2011-01-30 02:34
    I have experimented with the datalogger and it demo programs how the analog signal gets loged into the datafile via DEC5 . The setup program is very long and I do not get exactly how the stamp writes via TX/CTS and reads RX/CTS into data file? In my case where I read RFID digit by digit must I write it first into Ram and then write from ram all 10 digit into data file or must I write them one by one into the file ?
    edited 2011-02-10 00:50
    solved its working