Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BasicStamp Weather Station LOGGING DATA — Parallax Forums

BasicStamp Weather Station LOGGING DATA

bubby9534bubby9534 Posts: 36
edited 2011-02-19 20:06 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I am setting up a Basic Stamp 2 Weather Station using Pbasic 2.5 on the BOE board. I will have sensors to measure air pressure, temperature, precipitation level, etc. I would like to LOG the data every hour for between a week and a month, I don't know yet. Any suggestions for how to log the data?:confused: I was thinking using the debug terminal, but that would be difficult to keep that up for a whole month.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-01-21 18:13
    They make things called data loggers for just this thing. Parallax has some as do others.
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2011-01-22 00:15
    I've got the memory stick datalogger for my own project but so far havent had time to do more about it. I guess you also will need an RTC to keep track of the time and by using DS1302 as an example there are some 31 bytes of static RAM available you can use to keep the data in between each time you save them. Nice for store amount of precipitation in case of non-expected power outs. I will also recommend a BS with SPRAM because of the limitations of RAM available in the BS2. The breadbord area on the BOE will probably bee too small too but nice to test out the different kinds of sensors. I'm not using DEBUG at all to view current weather status but a 4x20 lcd display.
  • Qwaszx72Qwaszx72 Posts: 30
    edited 2011-01-25 04:38
    Pick up a 32 Kbyte I2c EEPROM chip then every hour(Using the DS1302), store data on the chip.
  • PTaylorPTaylor Posts: 12
    edited 2011-01-25 07:33
    I've seen some devices that will allow you toy log data to an SD card or USB, which is nice since it can be removed without dismantling the whole project. Or you can use a serial EEPROM and expand on memory storage.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?105313-Using-BASIC-stamp-to-access-SD-via-SPI

I'm thinking of going with some external storage but also using some EEPROMs to store the data. The code would write the data to EEPROM and then check to see if the SD or USB device is attached before writing the data there. That way, it I remove ot for plotting on a PC, the device can continue to log data without errors and I'm not pressed to do the swap it at certain times or the device flakes out because there's nothing available to write to.
  • bubby9534bubby9534 Posts: 36
    edited 2011-02-19 19:13
    Qwaszx72 wrote: »
    Pick up a 32 Kbyte I2c EEPROM chip then every hour(Using the DS1302), store data on the chip.

How long will this be able to store data before it runs out. And if it runs out and I try to write to it, what will happen? Do I need to include some sort of "full EEPROM" handling? Thanks.
  • Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-02-19 20:06
    Bubby,

Go to our team's project forum: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?122688-ARLISS-Team-NH/page59

Our ASP "Atmospheric Sampling Probe" samples and records temperature, humidity, time, and CO2 onto a DataLogger/flash drive. The program code is include in this program on the forum (link above) but it also contains some irrelevant code. The program is called "SHT Fast Data" and it measures and records every second. Look back through our forum pages and some of the schematics are posted as JPEG's. Let me know we can help.

Mark - ARLISS Team New Hampshire
    mkibler@alumni.unity.edu