Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot Control and WebCam — Parallax Forums

Robot Control and WebCam

th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
edited 2011-01-18 07:01 in Accessories
I've created a simple robot that is controlled through buttons on a web page. The Spinneret provides the buttons for the user. That part is working perfectly. The part that I am wanting to add is a web-cam.

The web-cam is a few years old Logitech USB Web-Cam. I would like to transmit the video to the Spinneret web page so the user may see where the robot is going. Does anyone know if this is possible through the router? Or even through the Spinneret? If not, any suggestions? Please be detailed as I am still learning about routers, html, and networking.

Thank You,
Matt

Comments

• zapmasterzapmaster Posts: 54
    edited 2011-01-17 18:34
    ok i'm thinking from the directions of my web cam their was instructions about how to imbed the picture in a web page. or I might have found it on the web.
    that will be cool.
    good luck
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2011-01-17 22:15
    is the webcam going to be on the robot itself, or looking at the robot?

what i would suggest is creating a web page with more than one frame, one frame could be the spinnerette and another frame could be the webcam. you could do it slickly and noone would realize its 2 different frames.
  • zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
    edited 2011-01-18 02:44
    Hey Matt,

Are you intending to connect the USB WebCam to the Spinneret directly? or via some other video capture device that outputs IP or UDP frames?

From my following other discussions of folks trying to connect various cameras to the Prop I thought that I'd read that it doesn't have sufficent memory, nor is it simple to set up the USB bus master. The following is an example, but best to search the Propeller Forum yourself.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?122437-Propeller-Web-Camera

Example google search of web forums
    http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&q=site%3Aforums.parallax.com+propeller+USB+camera

Alternatively there are net cams / network video capture devices, you might be able to get the frames that way.

Let us know what you find out.
  • th3jesterth3jester Posts: 81
    edited 2011-01-18 07:01
    The camera will be on the robot.

I figured the prop wouldn't be able to handle the video. I will investigate other options. I'm thinking of using a usb-to-ethernet adapter, plug the camera into the router, use one of those free webcam publishing websites, portforward the video through the router, then embed the video into the spinneret page.

My assumption is that since the video signal will be in the router, then maybe I could somehow pull that signal to the web page.

~~I have control of both motors and control of an LCD screen all through the Spinneret.

On a different note..... ;( i need new differential drive motors for my robot....anyone have a pair?