Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to interface a Playstation PS3 Controller with the Easy Bluetooth Module? — Parallax Forums

How to interface a Playstation PS3 Controller with the Easy Bluetooth Module?

Rossbro2Rossbro2 Posts: 4
edited 2011-02-17 18:58 in Accessories
Hello!

I have searched the internet for some kind of protocol or instructions on how to interface a Playstation 3 (Bluetooth) Controller with the Easy Bluetooth module from Parallax. Anyone have any suggestions or successfully done so??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on controlling a wireless video camera system on wheels. Should be pretty exciting... given I get the bluetooth communications to work!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Clive WakehamClive Wakeham Posts: 152
    edited 2011-01-17 22:47
    You might need to "sniff" the bluetooth signals coming from the Playstation 3 (Bluetooth Controller) to find out what the signals and protocols are.

http://www.seguridadmobile.com/bluetooth/bluetooth-security/building-your-own-Bluetooth-sniffer.html

Here is an article to build a sniffer.....
  • Rossbro2Rossbro2 Posts: 4
    edited 2011-01-19 09:21
    Thanks! I have not had time to mess with this much yet, but hopefully soon. Any Windows information out there on how to do this?
  • Alex899654Alex899654 Posts: 11
    edited 2011-02-02 23:42
    A similar concept was done with Microsoft Robotics Studio version 1.0 back in 2006/07...it was great because MSRS let you use an easy to use Visual Programming Laguage that took alot of the programming out of the picture; "let you focus more in the logic"...it let you control the Boe-Bot in real time, wireless, and with the XBox controler USB version. This similar concept was also done with a PicMicrocontroller based Robot called "WiMo" (pronounced "Wee-mo") with a cell phone around the same time but you can still get the info on "WiMo" by looking for it at the Microsoft site or typing www.wimobot.com Unfortunate MSRS R2/R3 the newer versions did not update the old code or include it and the eb500 wilreless bluetooth adapter used for it "at the time" is no longer used or made by A7Engineering. That does'nt mean its all lost, that means you have to do a new code yourself or wait for Microsoft to do it or wait for someone else to do it and prob. sell the PC end part of the code since the BasicStamp2 end is open source. The reason MSRS worked was because it uses the higher level .Net Languages and other multitasking special Laguages DSS and CCR with internet capabilities and uses the CPU processors, the BS2 code just kept an open communication and waited to recive commands from the CPU.....I hope this info gives you a wider view of microcontrollers and programming ,yeah its tough but its fun.
  • jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
    edited 2011-02-04 20:15
    I was wondering if you have made progress on your project. I wanted to know what type of wireless video camera you are using. Can't wait to see your progress. Thanks
    edited 2011-02-04 21:43
    @....jjpnyfan .........I stumbled into something similar you're trying to do......antospax..from YouTube in his "Rover Boe Bot " Video (His Video Texts is in Italian You need to Translate with Internet Explorer or something) says he's controlling the Boe-Bot with a PS3 controller....he uses a
    Moduline Aurel 868 Mhz.

it makes the digital signals from the PS3 controller to Radio......yeah I was thinking of some kind of setup like that. Its more easyer than programming the BS2 to decode the Bluetooth singal raw, without some kind of interface.
  • jjpnyfanjjpnyfan Posts: 7
    edited 2011-02-07 18:21
    Thats very interesting. My real issue is buying a wireless camera that will connect to my computer and give me a live feed of what is happening. My plan is to create a rc boe bot that will have a nerf gun attached to it. Also I would like to continue getting updates on your project it's very cool.
    edited 2011-02-07 22:39
    @ Rossbro2....The Parallax CD that comes with a Robot Kit, has a Doc. in the Old "Nuts&Volts" file that talks about using a PS1 wired Control to the BS2.......sorry JJpnyfan I meant the last comment to Rossbro2...I hope you find the data for your project.:smile:
  • Rossbro2Rossbro2 Posts: 4
    edited 2011-02-17 18:58
    jjpnyfan wrote: »
    I was wondering if you have made progress on your project. I wanted to know what type of wireless video camera you are using. Can't wait to see your progress. Thanks

I'm not using a wireless video camera per se, I'm using a Sony camcorder connected to a wireless video sender and using a portable tv for the user to see what's going on with RoverCam (my project name). I am acutally doing this as a project for a senior design class at the University of Northern Iowa, and well I've been swamped like crazy recently and haven't had much luck with simple things I've tried to get them to communicate. But I will definitely keep plugging away and for sure have an update when I get it figured out!