Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Are there any testing board for the BS2p40? — Parallax Forums

Are there any testing board for the BS2p40?

miguel.mateomiguel.mateo Posts: 3
edited 2011-01-17 16:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

A newby in electronics here. I bought a couple of parallax kits and I am already doing my own simple projects. I want to use a BS2p40 since I need more pins and I do not want to complicate the setup with serializers and multiplexed communications.

Are there any boards out there that I can stick the BS2p40 into it and immediately start programming it? If not, any site showing an easy 1, 2, 3 steps on how to make this board that I need using USB instead of Serial port?

Thanks!
Miguel

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-01-17 00:19
    You can make your own. Details at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125692 how to make a board & cable hookup for a standard BS2, you'll need to add a second socket or piece of one for 40 pins instead of 28. You'll need the USB/parallel adapter.
  • miguel.mateomiguel.mateo Posts: 3
    edited 2011-01-17 00:42
    Thanks erco for the link, I was not expecting it to be that simple. A couple of questions though:

- If I have 5 volts from other boards already regulated, do I need the 7805 regulator? Regardless, how is it supposed to be connected in your board (it is not in the schematics you mentioned)?

- You mean Serial/USB adapter/cable right? Any USB/Serial cable, removing the Serial head (leaving the USB head on the other side) and connecting the proper cables to the board will do? Are there any specific things that may need to be careful here?

Thanks,
    Miguel
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-01-17 01:15
    If I have 5 volts from other boards already regulated, do I need the 7805 regulator?
    Yes, it would be good idea to do so and all this can be done on breadboard. The Basic Stamp manual will have this information in it and can be downloaded from Parallax's website.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-01-17 15:52
    Yes, sorry I did mean the USB/serial adapter. Not all work, the Paralax one does and some others; FTDI-compatible is a good sign. I'd suggest NOT removing the parallel plug, but making an adapter like the one I showed.

If you are connecting to other boards with solid +5V signal, sure you can use that. I'd still use a filter cap right at the Stamp. Connect your grounds (Vss) together ( I believe pin 4 for you), and connect the +5V to your Stamp's Vdd pin ( believe pin 37 for you). Info at http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/BS2p40SchematicRevD.pdf
  • miguel.mateomiguel.mateo Posts: 3
    edited 2011-01-17 16:22
    Thanks you guys, I saw the professional board, but it is too expensive and in reality I will not be using not even 20% of what is in there, I just need to plug the BS2p40. So connecting it to power using the solid +5V from another board (regulated already) and doing the USB/Serial connection sounds more fun, so I will try that.

I will be trying a full power suply later (and maybe asking more about it), but not yet, I have still a lot to program to get what I want on the board first, to then move it to a finished product.

Thanks,
    Miguel