Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Want to make a motorized roll down projection screen — Parallax Forums

Want to make a motorized roll down projection screen

aab1aab1 Posts: 2
edited 2011-01-13 00:00 in Robotics
I want to build a motorized roll down screen, I know how to do most of it but am wondering the best way to determine when the screen is all the way down to stop the motor, and ideally I would like the motor to slow down during the last few inches for a more precise stop.

The best idea I came up with is to put black bands on the back side of the screen at different distances from the side along with optical sensors, one set of black bands would mean "slow down" and the other set would mean "stop"

I think the optical option is the best (most precise and reliable, no moving parts), but I have no idea how to make circuitry to interpret what the optical sensors see and control the motor based on that.

I would prefer something with only circuits and no programming required and I think this is a simple enough task for this to be possible. What would I need to have the optical sensors control the motor? Basically anything that can convert what the sensors see to an open or closed circuit (making them work like a switch) and I'd be set to do the rest on my own.

Also, I realize this would likely need a basic stamp, but is there anyway to make the circuit respond to a specific remote control signal so that I can trigger it to go up and down with my universal remote? If this is possible with a basic stamp, I don't mind doing the whole thing controlled by a basic stamp if it's not harder or more expensive than with plain circuitry like transistors.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-01-12 07:04
    What you can do, is use a Basic Stamp 1 to do this project, if you want. Here is the example I/O for the BS1.

1) up/remote up
    2) down/remote down
    2) up limit (looks to see if it is fully up)
    3) Shaft counter or encoder (counts the pulses on the shaft to see if fully down)
    4) motor up relay or you can use this pin to send pulses to the HB-25
    5) motor down relay or can use this pin as an lock-out relay to prevent the motor from running when not command to.

Remember that garage door operators use relay logic to control the door. The way it is controlled, it uses an lead screw with nut, which trips the up or down limit switch to stop the door in close or open position. You need ask yourself what features you would like to have and how it is controlled.

I hope this give some idea what you need to do.
  • aab1aab1 Posts: 2
    edited 2011-01-12 07:46
    Thanks, can the Basic stamp directly control relays? If so how many? I would probably need 3 (one for motor on/off, one for motor slow/fast, one for motor forward/reverse). I think this would cost less than the motor controller.

About making it respond to a specific remote signal, how would I do that?

Thanks
    edited 2011-01-12 19:16
    aab1 wrote: »
    Thanks, can the Basic stamp directly control relays? If so how many? I would probably need 3 (one for motor on/off, one for motor slow/fast, one for motor forward/reverse). I think this would cost less than the motor controller.

About making it respond to a specific remote signal, how would I do that?

Thanks
    Yes, the Basic Stamp can control a relays with an transistor or you can get a ULN2003A which drives the relays from the I/O pins as well. You will need no more than two relays to run a basic AC or DC motor. The motor that you would use is a gear motor, which is geared down for slow speed.

The HB-25 can control the speed has well and can do forward and reverse with one I/O pin with a 220ohm resistor in series, which protects the I/O pin.

You can get wireless controller kit to input to the Stamp with a pullup resistor and 220ohm series resistor to the I/O pin.

All this info on the internet and if want I can provide schematic if you need one. I am typing this on my phone.
    edited 2011-01-13 00:00
    One place you can find the information on how to connect different things to the Basic Stamps is the Parallax web site. I would download the "Basic Stamp 1 App Notes". This document as all kinds of information and applications for the BS1. Also get books on the Basic Stamps, it will provide you useful information