Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Intermittent Communication Failure during download to STAMP board — Parallax Forums

Intermittent Communication Failure during download to STAMP board

pkbsrpkbsr Posts: 8
edited 2011-01-17 15:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am having intermittent communications failures while attempting to download the programs to the STAMP board. I've found that if I repeatedly attempt to download the program it will succeed after 4 or 5 tries. Then sometimes it downloads with no problem at all. I've tried running a program with just END in it prior to the download but that has no effect. All programs are terminated with END as well. I've had the problem with programs written by Parallax as well so it doesn't seem to be program related.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Windows 7 with more than enough resources.

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2011-01-11 19:05
    Check your power supply to the stamp board.
  • pkbsrpkbsr Posts: 8
    edited 2011-01-11 20:23
    The power supply is 4 AA batteries and I've tried new batteries with no apparent effect.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-01-12 05:50
    Get yourself a 9v 500ma power supply for development and testing. Remove any external circuit connected to the STAMP and try again.

What's the error message?
    Have you gone through the "Connection Troubleshooting" section in the BASIC Stamp help?
    edited 2011-01-12 07:00
    I have gone through the troubleshooting section. The error message is "Hardware connection failure! Check serial cable and power supply."
    And thanks for your help by the way!

Also, the book recommends a 7.5v 1a supply. Any thoughts?
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2011-01-12 09:17
    Sure sounds like a power supply issue. Which Stamp board are you using and where is your battery pack connected? ( Vcc or Vdd?). Can you check the battery voltage while conected to the Stamp?
    edited 2011-01-12 09:59
    The board is a "Board of Education USB Rev D." and the battery pack is connected to the 6-9 volt connector with the jumper in the "Vin" position so Vcc I suppose. The voltage is 6.2vdc as checked with the switch off and 6.18vdc with the switch in position 1.
    edited 2011-01-12 10:05
    Go with the spec. I just assumed you're using a BOE.

At this point, we forum folks have no idea about your setup. I can only speculate that since you're referencing 7.5V you do not have a BOE and have wired the STAMP to your PC by some other means. The accuracy of forum response is directly proportional to the information supplied.

EDIT: Oops, posted at the same time.
    edited 2011-01-12 10:09
    Have you disconnected any external circuit and tried again? If you followed the troubleshooting steps and you're still having problems... the last step in the help instructions is to contact Parallax Support.
    edited 2011-01-12 11:11
    Mike G wrote: »
    Go with the spec. I just assumed you're using a BOE.

At this point, we forum folks have no idea about your setup. I can only speculate that since you're referencing 7.5V you do not have a BOE and have wired the STAMP to your PC by some other means. The accuracy of forum response is directly proportional to the information supplied.

EDIT: Oops, posted at the same time.

Since I don't know for sure what information is needed with this device and there is a ton of information possible to give I usually wait until prompted. It appears that the voltage can be between 6 and 9 volts but since the manual suggests the 7.5v one and "go figure" the Parallax store has such a device, I'll probably get that one. Thanks again for the assistance.
    edited 2011-01-12 11:13
    Once I get the AC adapter and try that if that fails I'll contact Support.
    edited 2011-01-15 10:26
    Update... Got the power supply from Parallax and still have the problem. Off to support.
    edited 2011-01-17 08:57
    Received the following from support:

"Try setting the "Latency Timer" to 1. If you go into the "Control Panel" on your PC and click on the "System" icon and then click on the "Device Manager" and then click on "Ports" and then "Com". You'll see a USB to com, go ahead and click on it and then click on the "Port Setting" tab and then click on the "Advance" button and you'll see the "Latency Timer", change it from 16 to 1. Let me know if this helps?"

So far this appears to have fixed the problem. I'll repost if it rears its ugly head again.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2011-01-17 15:35
    Thanks for the update pkbsr. I did include the latency timer adjustment in the Troubleshooting guide in many places, but hadn't tied it to the particular error message you received. I'll make a note for improvements on the next Troubleshooting Guide update. Sorry for the inconvenience!