Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LISY300 Gyroscope — Parallax Forums

LISY300 Gyroscope

narukinaruki Posts: 4
edited 2011-10-02 07:41 in Accessories
Got a question here, is the output directly proportional to the rate of change of angle? I read some information here in the forums conflicting with the datasheet.

Edit:

I have another question anyways, about the SPI communication. I've yet to get any readings from the gyroscope, having troubles with the SPI communication.

I'm using the mBed microcontroller so I'm programming in C and I'm using the SPI functions available in the provided mBed libraries. I specified the number of bits to capture as 16 bits, Mode 2 (tried Mode 1 as well) to capture the bits at the falling edge of the clock and set the clock as 1MHz. After setting up, I just have to send a dummy bit (since the gyro doesn't have MOSI communication) and the SPI function will just clock in 16 bits and then store them in a variable. The program keeps capturing zeroes though.

Not wanting to go into the syntax and mBed specific stuff for now, are the settings I used correct, especially the mode?

I've tried reading the sample code and I can understand some parts of it but I've no experience with Basic at all, at least I assumed the sample code is written in Basic.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-01-08 22:03
    From http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/sens/27922-LISY300GyroscopeModuleV1.0.pdf :

Sensitivity:

The LISY300 Gyroscope has a sensitivity of 3.3 mV/°/s. The ADC is 10-bits providing approximately 3.22
    mV per step. Each step is approximately 1 degree of change on the gyroscope.
  • narukinaruki Posts: 4
    edited 2011-01-10 04:18
    "3.3 mV/°/s" so it means every ADC step is equivalent to 1°/s? I'm getting confused between the phrase "1 degree of change" and "change of 1 degree".
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2011-01-12 10:35
    edited 2011-01-24 05:02
    Smile, I totally missed that when I was searching for past LISY300 threads. Thanks, got it now.

I have another question anyways, about the SPI communication. I've yet to get any readings from the gyroscope, having troubles with the SPI communication.

I'm using the mBed microcontroller so I'm programming in C and I'm using the SPI functions available in the provided mBed libraries. I specified the number of bits to capture as 16 bits, Mode 2 (tried Mode 1 as well) to capture the bits at the falling edge of the clock and set the clock as 1MHz. After setting up, I just have to send a dummy bit (since the gyro doesn't have MOSI communication) and the SPI function will just clock in 16 bits and then store them in a variable. The program keeps capturing zeroes though.

Not wanting to go into the syntax and mBed specific stuff for now, are the settings I used correct, especially the mode?

I've tried reading the sample code and I can understand some parts of it but I've no experience with Basic at all, at least I assumed the sample code is written in Basic.
    edited 2011-01-25 05:29
    Yeah apparently I just realised the master and the slave must have a common ground. I'm a retard.
  • RobotMaker12RobotMaker12 Posts: 1
    edited 2011-10-02 07:41
    I got the lisy300 gyroscope module but I have no idea how to do the wiring or programming.

ps: I can't read schematics or diagrams, only photos (I'm nine years old).