Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help Me Please — Parallax Forums

Help Me Please

Flying4Flying4 Posts: 4
edited 2011-01-07 07:30 in Robotics
ok iam new to robotics but i hav e alyways been very interested in it. What iam planning on doin is called a remote cutting flag. What it is, is pretty much a ac or dc motor that can run in either direction with variable speeds, which is remote control, it drives a flag or banner along a lengh of rope so that u can chase it on a horse. Sounds stupid but its actually quite fun since iam into horses; You can buy them but are upwards of a grand for a good one, and i belive it would be a great way for me to get into robotics. lol.

iam asking for some guidance like if i need just a motor controller, microcontroller, what size of motor to use and how to program it so iam pretty much asking for every thing

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-01-06 17:11
    Maybe a picture? Is it like a clothes line?
  • Flying4Flying4 Posts: 4
    edited 2011-01-06 17:15
    yes very similar that is about 160 foot long
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-01-06 18:29
    It's up to you to spec the mechanical system (the motor & gearing) to meet your needs. DC motors are easy to control and come in all shapes, sizes, strengths (torque) and speeds. Hook 'em to a battery and they turn. Flip the polarity and they reverse. Probably your first choice if you are just starting out. Once you get that sorted out and build your mechanism, come back and ask how to control the motor to suit your needs.
    edited 2011-01-06 20:13
    That i understand ive done quite a bit of work with motors and such its the programing that i really need help with and how to make it rc
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-01-07 04:59
    If you've done your motor homework then... PWM (pulse width modulation) is the standard signal used in RC cars and aircraft for controlling servos. Many motor controllers also use PWM.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/MotorServoControllers/tabid/160/ProductID/64/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

An RC radio receiver can hook directly to the Parallax motor controller above and you're done. If you're project requires a micro, a STAMP or Propeller can easily handle the PWM. There are many code examples and free downloads on parallax.com (OBEX for the Prop) and this forum.
    edited 2011-01-07 07:30
    ok thank you so much