Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keypad connection — Parallax Forums

Keypad connection

TabiriTabiri Posts: 23
edited 2011-01-06 17:17 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using the 4 x 4 keypad and the cable, and I'm trying to hook it up to the BOE. I did look at the nuts and volts article, I'm not really sure how to hook it up. I can't figure out where the pull up resistors go, as it seems to be right in the middle of the zap protection resistors.

nuts and volts article - http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv22.pdf

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-05 17:48
    Do you know how to read a schematic? Figures 22.1 and 22.2 in the Nuts and Volts article are pretty clear. How are you trying to hook things up? For example, you take one pullup resistor (10K). Connect one end to +5V and the other end to pin 0 of the Stamp. Take one "zap" protection resistor (220 Ohms). Connect one end to keypad cable wire #1 and the other end to pin 0 of the Stamp (along with one end of the pullup). Repeat the same for each of 8 keypad / Stamp connections.
  • TabiriTabiri Posts: 23
    edited 2011-01-06 16:35
    Oh, I get it now. You have to solder the zap resistor onto the pullup resistor, so they can both go to pin 0. Thank you :)
  • TabiriTabiri Posts: 23
    edited 2011-01-06 17:17
    Ok I have the keypad hooked up, as well as the LCD 4 x 20. I'm writing a program for it, but whenever I write something too long, It starts blinking on the LCD because of me having to clear the screen. I have been using longer pause times, but that might delay the keypad response, so I was wondering if there was any other way I could do it. I attached my code.

keypad + LCD.bs2