Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Confused on this forum — Parallax Forums

Confused on this forum

RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
edited 2011-01-10 02:04 in Robotics
The title says it is for in process of completed projects, but the sticky post makes it sound like it is only for completed projects.....

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-04 07:29
    The Projects forum was originally only for completed projects, but there were few postings and a suggestion was made and accepted that in-process projects be allowed as well. The same kind of criteria apply in that there must be enough information provided that someone could duplicate what's been done already.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2011-01-04 07:46
    Newcomers are interpreting the Projects forums in a variety of ways. In fact, newcomers are pretty much arriving all over the place. But what the heck, I am tolerant and just try to be helpful. It is much easier to be moderate than to be an actual moderator. If you want to get people into the right topics, some pushing is going to have to take place. EVEN THIS TOPIC DOESN'T BELONG IN PROJECTS.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-01-04 09:04
    Ragtop and Mike and Loopy Byteloose and All--

I am guilty of not following the sticky! (I created the topic BEFORE I read the sticky. Duh.) I thought about asking forgiveness until I read the forum header. After that I still felt guilty, just not as much. :)

My project was insignificant. It gave me problems because it was the first thing I had ever moved from a breadboard to a PCB. Even then, the error was due to picking up the wrong resistor. Still, without forum help it is doubtful I would have found the problem. I just couldn't SEE it.

I'll post some code on both the Stamp and PC sides when I get the project in an enclosure. Heck, I'll even post a video of the blinking LED!

--Bill
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2011-01-04 09:54
    Yes, this was once a forum made for showing off only fully completed projects. The completed projects would need code, pics, and full documentation with a description of the project's goal/usage. The completed projects were often also used as submissions for the application's page: http://www.parallax.com/Resources/ApplicationsContests/tabid/271/Default.aspx

But this changed, and sadly the Sticky hasn't yet; however I will make a few changes through the course of the day which I hope will alleviate the confusion.

This is infact just a projects forum: completed and inprogress projects alike.
    Thank you for returning this to our attentions :)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-01-05 10:17
    Hello,

I removed the post that described the forum as a Completed Projects only forum. A new sub-forum will be completed for those posts that meet the criteria of Completed, and we will manually move such projects into that sub forum over time. For now, hopefully removing the old guidelines post will avoid any further confusion. Take care.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2011-01-08 04:14
    Thanks, Chris.
    Recent changes to the Forums for the most part have been improvements, though we are all still getting the hang of what goes where.

Let's just sum it all up that exploration of creative effort is always welcome - even if you don't get it in exactly the right place. What I absolutely love about Parallax Forums is that you get thoughtful insight and answers about using these gadgets and no a lot FUD or other nonsense.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-01-10 02:04
    Seeing completed projects is the most useful, with schematics, photos and code. There's lots of posts from people requesting "how to" information to get their code working, then, after it works we never see their working code (especially with Propeller). We mainly see non-working versions. So a place for completed projects that fit the original requirements is very useful.