Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"ERROR:BASIC STAMP NOT FOUND." my POWER is ON, PROGRAM ON, USB FOUND — Parallax Forums

"ERROR:BASIC STAMP NOT FOUND." my POWER is ON, PROGRAM ON, USB FOUND

iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
edited 2014-11-25 12:36 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone,
I am trying to decipher my robots health issue today. I am running the regular power supply that comes with the boe-bot kit. I have a basic stamp 2 rev j and my microprocessor is rev d. My robot was working great until last night when it started acting a bit-- abnormal. I connected it to my computer and identifed the virtual usb port (com 6) to see that the loop was yes and echo was yes. I try to run a new program and I get the warning basic stamp not found. I can guarantee that my basic stamp is on board. If anyone else has faced this issue, please let me know. I searched the forum for an answer, but to no avail.
My Operating System is Vista, My 1.5 volt batteries all have plenty of juice according to my multimeter. two batteries are at 1.49 and the other two are at 1.5. I am using the USB cable that came with the boe-bot. I am using a reliable USB port was recognizing the bot until late last night when I made some adjustments to the servos. I looked at the MEMBER SUPPORT FAQ and there was no answer to this problem there. I have read several other posts similar to mine, but the people who have their issue solved never explain how they solved it.

I will post how it was solved and if you wish you could make this a sticky so no one will have to be stuck searching the forum finding threads that are about the same problem, but doesn't say how the person resolved the problem.

Comments

• roboxxroboxx Posts: 4
    edited 2011-01-02 11:52
    Hello,
    Are you sure the cable is not plugged up side down on your laptop?
    I had exactly the same problem
  • iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
    edited 2011-01-02 12:07
    Yes, I am sure. Thank you for replying so quickly!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-01-02 13:11
    When you have a Stamp that was working fine, then stops working and NO changes have been made to the cables or the attached PC, the first thing to check is the power source. If that really (really!) is ok, then you've got a problem that needs a phone call to Parallax Tech Support. It's probably something that can't be solved via the forums. There have been occasional cases of a Stamp failure or a bad solder connection on the Board of Education that only showed up after some time. These are very rare, but occasionally do happen. The most common causes are problems with the power source or some change to the attached PC (like installing a program that wrecks the USB to serial adapter driver).
  • iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
    edited 2011-01-02 14:55
    Mike,
    My USB cable did get all twisted and tangled, because I tried running a driving program with the robot connected to the computer. Could have this caused a short in the usb cable? I am thinking about testing it with another cable that is the same. I am hoping that it isn't an issue with the basic stamp. I will double check the power source.
  • SafetyMooseSafetyMoose Posts: 6
    edited 2011-01-03 11:40
    I had the same problem as you there was one problem! It was the batteries there too old Change them and they work again.

- Matt
    edited 2011-01-05 11:35
    alright im getting this problem like you now to and the batteries are fine post solution when you find one
    edited 2011-01-05 12:29
    This has been said many times before and is in the FAQs for the Stamps (I think). A "Stamp Not Found" message is almost always (95%+) due to one of two things:

1) The Stamp is not getting power or adequate power.
    a) This could be caused by weak or dead batteries
    b) This could be caused by a defective AC adapter (wall-wart)
    c) It has occasionally been caused by faulty power wiring
    d) If other circuitry is connected to the Stamp, there might be a short-circuit in that circuitry

2) The serial connection between the Stamp and the PC is not working properly
    a) The serial cable might be defective
    b) If you're using a USB to serial adapter, it might be one that doesn't properly implement the handshaking lines (DTR particularly)
    c) You might be using the default USB driver for serial adapters which doesn't work for programming. You need the correct manufacturer's driver.
    d) The USB cable might be broken (it's happened).

Anything beyond this may have to be dealt with directly with a call to Parallax Tech Support.
    edited 2011-01-06 11:27
    yea my bs2 basic stamp chip was in the wrong way.
  • WedgeWedge Posts: 1
    edited 2011-12-09 21:35
    I have the same problem.
    I have tried the batteries, reinstalling drivers and multiple cables and still no luck.
    The previous program on the EEPROM works fine, I cannot find the BASIC Stamps from the editor.
    I have a 'real' serial port, but no adaptor, is this an option?
    thanks
    edited 2011-12-09 21:51
    Yes, you can use a 'real' serial port. Sometimes the serial cable is broken or the PC's serial port is broken.

As mentioned, overwhelmingly the Stamp is fine and the Stamp Editor works and the problem is elsewhere. Often a forum is not a good venue for finding out what is wrong once you've really eliminated nearly all of the possible problems. Call Parallax Tech Support on Monday or go through all the above suggestions with a fresh look, then call Tech Support if it doesn't work.
  • John BoardJohn Board Posts: 371
    edited 2011-12-10 01:49
    Hi,

A problem that I have faced once and is a horifying prospect is.... the chip having been destroyed by static electricity. IT HAS happened to me once, and I can tell you, I have always made sure that I have de-staticed myself before touching ICs after that!

Another trouble-shooting tip is, try plugging it into another computer, see if the problem is related to the computer. Then try a new serial cable, after that, check to see if all the serial port solder terminals are secure on the BOE (If that is what you are using).

Hope this works :)

-John
  • Rowe-Bot UserRowe-Bot User Posts: 2
    edited 2014-11-25 12:18
    I have a problem that is similar to that problem. Mine is working and it's saying that the bot is found (because I have it hooked up to the computer) but it says that the bot is not responding. Check power. I did and I changed the batteries but it still says that. I made sure the bot was turned on and it still says that... Does anyone know what to do if that happens?
    edited 2014-11-25 12:36
    The comments in post #8 are still true. Check your power source. Check your cables and serial connection (via USB or whatever). If all that looks like it's ok, call Parallax Tech Support. It may be something simple and maybe obvious in retrospect, but you're not going to get a quick easy answer communicating via these forums .. a phone call is much much better.
  • Okay, I just had the same problem with my new only plugged in one time before basic stamp 2 homework board.. It was my 9 volt battery. I put the volt meter on it and it was 8.2 volts. So I replaced it with one that was 9.5 and pushed run and bam my program for Blinking an LED loaded right up!