Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
learning X-CTU — Parallax Forums

learning X-CTU

Speaker337Speaker337 Posts: 14
edited 2012-05-27 12:00 in Accessories
I am trying to learn about the XBee modules. I have downloaded the X-CTU software and am getting results that I don't understand. It's all plugged in as shown in 'xbee_sip_prop_plug.png' that I have included. I click on Test / Query and I get "Unable to communicate with modem" (see unable.png). If I put a check mark by Enable API and then click Test / Query I get "Modem type = Name unknown" with an ID number (see name_unknown.png). What do I try next?
463 x 789 - 111K
441 x 521 - 13K
462 x 789 - 109K

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-01-02 10:47
    Assuming that your power and data connections to the XBee are fine, you may need to download new versions of the XBee firmware to your computer.

If your XBee has new firmware that your copy of XCTU doesn't know about, it (XCTU) won't be able to communicate with the XBee. To resolve that problem, go to the Modem Configuration screen and click the Download New Versions button (with a live internet connection). It'll take a few minutes to gather all of the current firmware versions and make them available to your local copy of XCTU. Then close XCTU and restart it, and try again to connect.
    475 x 610 - 51K
  • Speaker337Speaker337 Posts: 14
    edited 2011-01-02 12:51
    Sylvie369; Thanks for the response. I tried what you said. The result is the same. I get an ID number and nothing else.
    edited 2011-01-02 13:51
    sylvie369; I thank you again. Went back to check basics. Did not have good power.
    edited 2011-01-02 17:34
    Speaker337 wrote: »
    sylvie369; I thank you again. Went back to check basics. Did not have good power.

It's amazing how often that's the problem. Working now?
    edited 2011-01-02 19:21
    Working well. Thanks again.
  • bn4albn4al Posts: 1
    edited 2012-05-01 08:24
    xbee 2.jpg
    Hi, am actually facing the same problem, infact i got 2 xbee modules and one of them is working fine, i mean i can read and write on that module where as the other one, seems like not responding.
    i tried out all the baudrate twice. as you can see the bug am facing and the module am using.
    i have also try to reset the module by connecting the reset pin (16) to ground but seems not working.
    when communicating only the red power led and the yellow RX led blinking whereas the tx led not lighting up at all.
    Attachment not found.
    xbeeboard.jpg
    thqnks to tell m e what to
    1024 x 556 - 65K
    600 x 600 - 130K
    edited 2012-05-01 08:36
    You're using both XBees on the same USB board? That is, when you switch from the one that works to the one that doesn't, you're removing the working one from the board and putting the other one on it?
    Or are the two XBees each mounted on their own boards?

I ask because it'll narrow down whether or not the board might be the culprit. If one works on the board and the other doesn't, I'd say the odds go up quite a bit that you simply have a bad XBee.
  • An YongningAn Yongning Posts: 2
    edited 2012-05-25 19:18
    sylvie369,I face a problem:I can't set two XBees on the same Channel,when I hope they communicate with each other.Can you give me some suggestion,please?Thank you advance!
    question.jpg
    919 x 486 - 190K
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-05-25 21:36
    sylvie369,I face a problem:I can't set two XBees on the same Channel,when I hope they communicate with each other.Can you give me some suggestion,please?Thank you advance!
    question.jpg

I know very little about this, but it's just a thought: after you click on the CH Channel line and enter the channel you want to change it to, are you remembering to click on the WRITE button under the heading of "Modem Parameter and Firmware"?

If you don't WRITE your changes to the Xbee, I don't think it will store them and so the changes will not be made. You can confirm your changes have been made by clicking on the READ button under "Modem Parameter and Firmware."
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-05-26 10:46
    An Yongning,

I bet we can help you get your XBees to talk to each other.

It looks like you have Series 2 (ZigBee) XBees. Do you have a link to the specific XBee's you are using?

I don't know if I've used the "Channel" setting on XBees before. I usually use the PAN ID setting and make sure my XBees all have the same PAN ID.

If you provide a link to your XBees we can make sure we're telling you correct information.

I have some Series 2 XBees and I can test out some settings here to make sure they work if you have Series 2 XBees also.

It would also be good to know what kind of board you are using with your XBees. What board to you plug your XBees into when you use X-CTU?
  • TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
    edited 2012-05-26 23:30
    I found it easiest to change the channel via the X-CTU command window (more so than the dropdown list for some reason). http://tymkrs.tumblr.com/post/18015004512/xbee-terminal-interface-commands-atch-atcn for how to easily change channels (on series 1 xbees - same as the ones in the parallax's wireless kit)

Also, if there are issues with lack of ID or the modem not being able to see the XBees...I've had this problem:
    http://tymkrs.tumblr.com/post/18610432248/xbee-testing-the-serial-pass-through-code-fail

and solved it with just making sure the pins/wires were connected properly (as denoted by the code):

http://tymkrs.tumblr.com/post/18668689560/xbee-testing-the-serial-pass-through-code-success

simple fix :p
  • An YongningAn Yongning Posts: 2
    edited 2012-05-27 05:09
    Thanks for your reply.I tried again,it didn't work either.Just like you said,many datas I saw told me it can work like that ,but I cann't get that result.I once changed my XBee's modem where I can change the CH to "C" ,but it seems can not write successfully.Because when I read it again ,the CH return to '0' also.I don't know why,thanks again!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2012-05-27 12:00
    Another thing to try is the "show defaults" button, followed by the "write" button. For both your coordinator and the end-point. They need to share the same PAN ids, as well as channels.

The earlier problem from bn4al looks like he might have a bricked xbee. One works but the other does not in the same board. I'll post my collection of notes on bricked xbees in a new topic.