Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eight Pin Socket for SHT11 — Parallax Forums

Eight Pin Socket for SHT11

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2011-01-02 19:15 in Accessories
All--

I am transferring a BOE breadboard project to PCB. I think I may have over-heated my SHT11 during soldering. (Or, in my inexperience, simply wired the circuit wrong.) I should have socketed it. The sockets I bought for it (Jameco) were 8 pin IC sockets, which I now know are incorrect.

Will you tell me what to buy?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

--Bill

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-01-02 16:41
    Which SHT11 module are you using? A breadboard is 0.1" pitch, so an 8 pin device that straddles the center gap of a breadboard will be a standard DIP-8 package and should drop right into any DIP-8 socket.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2011-01-02 17:15
    Andrew--

This is what I bought: Jameco 94474. The pin spacing is right, but the holes don't seem large enough. (Do I just need to PUSH harder?)

This is my SHT11 (Sensirion Temperature/Humidity Sensor ) from Parallax.

Pardon my ignorance. Everything I've done has been breadboarded.

--Bill
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-01-02 17:38
    Those wire-wrap sockets should be OK.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-01-02 19:00
    Those are 'machine pin sockets and the pins on the SHT11 ARE too big for it. The SHT11 will fit in a standard 8 pin dip socket thiugh.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-01-02 19:15
    The machined pin style DIP sockets are usually designed for up to a 0.021" diameter pin (the datasheet for that Jameco part doesn't state the acceptable range) and the headers used for the legs of the SHT11 module has 0.025" square pins. This is why it is so difficult to insert the module into the socket. You may be able to force it in as many people do, but the "spring" of the contacts will be pretty much destroyed, so pulling the module back out may render the socket useless for any future insertions or it may have very poor connections.

This is exactly why I had to replace the socket on my BOE. In haste for a project, I crammed a ZIF socket into the BOE's socket. Worked fine while in there, but once the ZIF socket was pulled out, my BS2 module did not make a firm seat and did not work properly.

ps. I doubt you damaged the SHT11 by soldering. They are actually pretty durable and since it is on the module PCB as well, it would be pretty difficult to get that much heat to the module itself.