Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[Contest Entry] Home Furnace monitor — Parallax Forums

[Contest Entry] Home Furnace monitor

seulaterseulater Posts: 2
edited 2010-12-30 23:42 in Accessories
I often wondered is it more economical to set back your thermostat in the winter when your away from home, then when you return put it back up, and basically re-heat everything the whole house back up. Or would it be better to just leave it.

My project will log the cycle times the furnace comes on and also give you time it came on and for how long each call for heat / air was for. I will also give you what i call "The Split" which it a quick reference to the on/off times for the furnace. For instance, lets say in the last hour the furnace was on for 10 minutes, and off for 50 minutes. the Split would be 10 / 90. 10% of the time the furnace was on and 90 it was off for that time length.

This information will be stored on the SD card, and if you are able to run a Ethernet cable to it, you will be able to see the information and logged data live.
IF not, when you remove the device and plug an Ethernet cable into it, you will be able to FTP into it to retrieve the data and / or view it on its web page.