Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What kind of microcontroller do i need — Parallax Forums

What kind of microcontroller do i need

idrisbidrisb Posts: 5
edited 2010-12-28 22:29 in Robotics
i am trying to build a breathalyzer watch for my senior design project. i am planning on using a alcohol sensor module that i ordered through parallex. This is the site for it below.
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/GasSensors/tabid/843/CategoryID/91/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/695/Default.aspx. i am leaning on ordering a pic microcontroller but not sure which bit to go with. i also need a led display or lcd display for the watch. i am planning on using led's to indicate the bac levels for the breathalyzer.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-12-28 08:34
    The simple answer is that with the right software, any micro-controller will likely do. But if you wan to use Free software and an inexpensive microcontroller, you choices become much more limited. The Propeller 40 pin DIP and SPIN are a real bargain.

Of course, if you feel comfortable programing a PIC in assembler and have a programer for it - that might be cheaper. You can build a programing interface for a Propeller from a few transistors and use an existing RS-232 port.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2010-12-28 10:45
    @idrisb, The STAMP does everything you want plus all the software is a free download away. The bottom of the Gas Sensor manual shows the PBASIC code.
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/sens/27904_27930-1-2-GasSensor-v2.2.pdf
  • idrisbidrisb Posts: 5
    edited 2010-12-28 22:29
    ok thanks. i am new to microcontrollers and haven't taken a class in microcontrollers. Like i said earlier i am trying to build a breathalyzer watch.my original plan was to make a breathalyzer wrist watch but considering making one that attaches like a keychain. do you think i can use the same microcontroller for the digital watch or would i require two microcontrollers. To build a digital watch, i was considering using a led display. do you have any suggestions on the type of display to use. I don't need a big display