Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
looking for a IP camera or webcam for robot — Parallax Forums

looking for a IP camera or webcam for robot

BornaBorna Posts: 36
edited 2010-12-28 23:23 in Robotics
Hello all,
I want to build a robot that I can control over the internet with using a web camera
Any idea what is the best wireless webcam to use?
Is IP webcam a right selection or something better available to use?
Also I want to Cam to be battery operated.

If possible, can you give me the name and brand of Webcam that you have experience with and you think is a good fit?
Thanks
Borna

Comments

• ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2010-12-27 08:58
    Borna - I have a robot with a network camara and I don't really care for it because there is any where from half second to 5 second real time delay of the pix on the monitor. I will be seeking another solution.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-12-27 09:01
    How much space do you have to work with ??

a netbook and a 3G card can do the same thing . and work allmost anywhere .

Peter KG6LSE
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2010-12-27 09:05
    I prefer a wireless IP camera. Just do a search for IP cameras I use an older linksys IP camera.

To get things setup, all I did was "View Source" in the browser while viewing the camera stream. Then I could see the API files that made the camera work. So I simply downloaded the source from the camera's hardware and dropped them on my web server. Next I configured my internal network to direct external video requests to the camera. Finally, I create a service to handle robot commands over Zigbee wireless.

There are some IP camera's that have servos. You can hack the servo connection to make a basic messaging system. Shot the pulse width modulation (PWM) used to control the servos to a microcontroller.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-28 23:23
    You can get a Rovio or Spykee robot that is ready to go out of the box to give you a web-accessible driveable camera robot. I have a Rovio which works pretty well. I got it mainly to check out ER's Northstar navigation system. Rovio does require some legwork to get it web-enabled. From what I understand, the Spykee is easier to configure.

Both robots have been on woot.com within the past year for $99, FYI. Hard to say no to prices like that !