Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Counter, synchronizer — Parallax Forums

Counter, synchronizer

FishyFishy Posts: 1
edited 2010-12-27 12:06 in BASIC Stamp
I have a somewhat simple question. I have a task that I believe the basic stamp 2 should be able to handle, but so far I have been unable to find any information when it comes to making it count. Perhaps it's just too basic. The task will be to synchronize six linear actuators. These actuators are DC powered 12 volt with a miniature dry contact magnetic reed switch that pulses at approximately 40 cps. Although extremely high accuracy as in phase coordinated is not necessary. They all need to start and stop within a pulse or two. Should I possibly be looking at the propeller chip instead due to its multi channel configuration. Or is it reasonably possible to stream all the information through the basic stamp? I understand that a relay or transistor circuit will be needed to interface higher voltage and current. Also, debouncing will be necessary. Can anybody help me with this question? As simple as it may be, my many years of experience in electronics and electrical have not been in this direction. Thank you

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-26 19:36
    Please confirm: each actuator has a reed switch for position feedback that toggles at 40 hz as it extends/retracts, and you want to sync 6 of those?
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-12-27 12:06
    It sounds to me more like the reed switches are a type of tachometer on the motor rather than a limit switch on the actuator.

If you use one actuator as a reference, you'd sync five actuators to the reference. If you start them all on one limit and assuming you can set all encoders to the same HI / LO state at home position:
    You'd need hold the reference PWM output constant at less than 100% and modulate the other five PWM outputs at the same time while looking for off-phase HI / LO states from the other encoders. The BS won't do it alone. You could use the PWMPAL to handle four of the outputs. I'm not sure if you can run multiple PWMPALs or not.

If you can run multiple PWMPALs off one BS I'd say it's possible. I'd be much easier with absolute encoders though. Without running the calculations I'd say you'll need to run hardware debounce timers..... like a 555..... to relieve the BS of that burden