Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can an iPhone communicate with an "Easy Bluetooth Module"? — Parallax Forums

Can an iPhone communicate with an "Easy Bluetooth Module"?

MJHanaganMJHanagan Posts: 189
edited 2010-12-28 09:26 in Accessories
Does anyone know if it is possible for an iPhone (3.0 and up) to communicate directly with a Parallax "Easy Bluetooth Module" (part number 30085)?

I would like to use an iPhone as a remote device (within the house) to send simple commands to and recieve data back from a Propeller chip. I have no plans to market the app so I'm thinking it doesn't need to go through the Apple approval process (I heard if you write your own app for your own phone you have a lot more lattitude in what the app can do).

If not, are there alternative methods to accomplish the same thing (e.g. via a local WIFI or VPN)?

Comments

• bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2010-12-26 22:03
    Can it be done and I say yes. Since you are not planning to put it out for the whole world to use, I don't see any problems with Apple at all. Just remember, everybody is doing apps like this all the time and what Apple doesn't see won't hart them.

Do you have any books on IPhone app development? A book like this covers all the aspects for application development, such as this one and covers
    1. The graphics on the phone.
    2. Communications from the phone the using WiFi, Bluetooth or over the Internet.

Just remember that smart phones are mini computers and all you need to do is pick your communications protocol and I would use is WiFi. Bluetooth will work, but are limited by distance.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-12-27 07:36
    hardware wise yes the needed parts are all there but
    to get a Dev Kit you Need a rather new intel mac and a Non disclose document .

I My self a apple fan Does not use nor own a IPad/pod/phone .
    and as much as I dispse the android platform they have a much more open Dev system.

other users here have wished to have BT I phone access for all kinds of things and I have yet to see it work as a end product.

its not a Bluetooth issue but the SW needed on the device .
    A Web based interface Would have a better chance of working .

the spinernet that just came out is a Full Web server with a SD slot for TONS of data so If you write a Webpage and access that .. it may work.
  • MJHanaganMJHanagan Posts: 189
    edited 2010-12-27 16:01
    Thanks for your replys on this posting.
    BSnut - can you post the name of the book you suggested - it didn't show up in your response - thank you!
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2010-12-28 01:45
    Here's some books on IPhone application development, that I found at Barnes&Nobel www.bn.com . All I did was search on "IPhone apps" and I saw 3 books on application development. These 2 books stand out
    1. Sams Teach Yourself IPhone Application Development In 24 Hours
    2. Building IPhone Apps with HTML, CSS and JavaScrip: Makings IPhone Apps Without Objective-C or Cocoa

I don't own any of these books at all. But, this should point you the right direction.

By the way, I use my Android phone to post this for you and hope one of these books work for you.
  • MJHanaganMJHanagan Posts: 189
    edited 2010-12-28 09:26
    Thank you for the book titles!